1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most wanted - suggestions on how to get rid of vintage?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by unknownshopper, Dec 15, 2017.

1. unknownshopper

unknownshopper Registered Guest

That sounds really awful but I've been collecting/hoarding vintage for a long time and have amassed a HUGE amount. I'm not a sales person. I hate listing on ebay/etsy/whatever and am moving in 2 weeks.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of a massive amount of vintage? Mostly 40s-70s, I guess, with the odd older piece here and there. I don't mean sell - I'll give it all away to a vintie who wants it. Just drive over with a big truck - it really is a huge amount. I'm in southern california.

2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

We have some members from Southern California. I imagine if you posted on Craig's List you would get takers. I had a similar situation and fortunately have a greenhouse - so I hung up everything in there and advertised "Free Vintage lawn sale" (with precise hours) on Craig's list and our local "Front Porch Forum." Almost everything disappeared. Most sellers I know wouldn't want to deal with a truckload of inventory.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Are you in the LA area?

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

5. unknownshopper

Yes, in Long Beach.

I 'should have' thought about this stuff a lot earlier than this.

6. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Hi - I'm in Orange, not far from Long Beach. I'm happy to meet up with you and can have this taken care of early this week - I also have the available space to store it, which I know most people don't lol. Feel free to email me directly - elsewherevintage (at) gmail (I also sent my private number via the PM system, here)
    Although we do purchase most items, every now and then, someone does "donate" items - when that happens, we usually make a monetary donation on their behalf to the local homeless and/or women's shelters...
    Kristine

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  7. unknownshopper

HOLYCOW! AWESOME! Kristine, you got my eyeballs to puddle up. AND MENSWEAR TOO! I have a WAY cool wool long sleeve BPOE bowling shirt from a strange name city in WI IIRC. Menswear became my 'favorite' but it's so rare compared to womenswear.

How about the week after christmas? I still have THERE to go through. THERE is what's supposed to be my bedroom with a closet/baby alcove that got converted to my ebay room. There's more in THERE than I had in my cedar closet, trunk or the walk-in that I've already gone through. Didn't wanna tackle THERE just yet and it's gonna take a couple days.

8. unknownshopper

OR later on this week? I've been working in THERE and made more progress than I thought I could.

9. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Haha sounds like MY house before we opened the shops!!
    I am fine with whatever works for you - I can make it happen. I figure easiest to come out and meet with you first, at your convenience, so we can get an idea of how much we're looking at... what size truck is needed... how much help we'll need... and how best to move it, etc, and then make arrangements to come back with a truck (and possibly extra hands!) in the following days/week/whatever works best.
    (and I just saw your email, so I'll respond there - much easier since I don't always remember to check in here!)
    k