1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mr Mort by Betty Carol

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Denise Dougherty, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Denise Dougherty

Denise Dougherty Registered Guest

Greetings from Philadelphia. Have never seen these two names on the same label and haven't found any references here among the Label Resources. The dress is early 50s silk (see pic) and label looks tacked in. Don't want to list for sale if label inaccurate.
    Appreciate any opinions or comments.
    DD@Phila

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      409.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      401.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      599.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      469.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Denise Dougherty

Hi Karin. I'm familiar with Mr Mort - and with Betty Carol. Just never saw both names on the same label. Was wondering if anyone has seen one. The dress is wonderful - even wore it when I still had a waistline!
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    DD@Phila

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Denise!

Like you, I know Mam'selle by Betty Carol, and I know Mr. Mort, but the combo is also around. I see a few other examples of sold vintage dresses with this same label, but I don't know any more about the association.

5. Denise Dougherty

Hi Maggie. Thanks for your comment. Didn't want to post for sale if label not seen by anyone else. Am guessing association prior to Stan Herman joining Mr Mort and before Betty Carol moved on. Dress looks more Betty Carol than Mr Mort.
    DD@Phila

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Mr. Mort was a manufacturer who hired designers to create his clothes, most famously Stan Herman. So I think you are right in assuming Betty Carol was hired to create a line for Mr. Mort for a short period of time, probably before Stan Herman.

Attirelyvintage likes this.
  7. Denise Dougherty

Hello. Yes, that was my thought.
    Appreciate your comments.
    DD@Phila