1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my first attempt at reweaving, and what kind of check is this?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Retro Ruth, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I thought I'd show my first ever attempt at reweaving:

Before
    60s tweed check71.jpg 60s tweed check2.jpg

After
    60s tweed check5.jpg 60s tweed check3.jpg

It's not perfect, but I'm happy enough with it, for a first go.

Now, my question is, is this a kind of houndstooth check, or something else?

EndlessAlley likes this.
  2. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Ruth- I don't know what the check is- but I am mighty impressed with that reweaving, bravo!!!

3. Retro Ruth

Thanks Gayle! It had a few holes, that was the biggest. I fixed them all!

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. joules

joules VFG Member

Nicely done, Ruth!

It seems a large scale houndstooth to me.

Leonardo Da Vintage likes this.
  6. sewingmachinegirl

I wish you could come over a fix some of my things! This is not a skill I have- I just don't have the patience for it I guess :)

7. Retro Ruth

I found it extremely satisfying! I don't often have time but I really got into it. Making the flaws almost disappear, and matching the threads to make it as unnoticeable as possible, remaking the pattern.

Being such a chunky loose weave, I think this was an easy fabric to start with. I have a hole on a much finer fabric I want to try next.

8. sewingmachinegirl

I hope we get to see photos of that as well :sunshine:

9. Retro Ruth

Yes when I get to it, I'll definitely do before and afters.

I'm going to start blogging at some point, so I'm photographing projects with that in mind.

10. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That looks good to me! Great work!:clapping:

Looks like a type of houndstooth to me too.

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I would agree with a kind of "wild" houndstooth as well.

12. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

13. Retro Ruth

Right - I didn't think it looked like a classic houndstooth, the shapes are different and it's made of at least two different shapes, rather than the single shape tessellation that the classic houndstooth is. But I see wikipedia says "houndstooth is a duotone textile pattern characterized by broken checks or abstract four-pointed shapes", so I think that covers it.

Thanks Linda - I'm not such an experienced sewer, and I really thought this kind of repair would be beyond me until I tried it. It's such a good feeling, saving something like this.

14. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

That's ace Ruth! I've always wanted to try this but haven't found the time yet... I'd also be interested to see your blog post on this. How strong is it once done? I always think it would come apart again but I've no idea how long the threads inserted are.

The pattern reminded me of the Isle of Man legs - well a four legged version anyhow...lol

15. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Agree with all on "houndstooth". Ruth, you're my hero, I am totally impressed with your weave work! Was wondering if you salvaged thread from the garment itself to use for weaving?

16. Retro Ruth

Melanie, it's pretty strong, because you anchor each thread you bring in, at the back of the work, by stitching it around another thread. They don't just hang loose, otherwise they don't stay tight and as you say they'd come apart with wear. And similar with the original broken threads around the hole. I'll have to show a pic of the back at some point.

I see what you mean about Isle of Man Legs!

Alice, yes exactly that, you pull threads from the inside, from the inside seams and facings, so they are a perfect match to the garment. The complicated thing with this one, was that I was recreating a pattern in the weave, not just a plain weave.

This technique is also called 'invisible mending', and you pay a fortune to have it done professionally. I just watched a youtube tutorial to learn this! My top tip is that you need good lighting. I sat by a window which made all the difference.

17. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Thanks, Ruth. From looking at how beautifully matched your weave work is to the garment, I thought that was the case. And thanks for the youtube tip, I often forget about all the tutorials one can find there. For me I would need one of those wonderful free standing magnifying glasses with attached lighting or I end up cross-eyed trying.:wacko:

18. Retro Ruth

Ah, yes. I'm short-sighted, so my close vision is pretty good, which does help.

19. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

What a fabulous job, Ruth! Wow!

I'd say you just earned membership in the "invisible menders" guild--and to think you learned how to do it on the 'net! How long did it take you?

Giant/novelty houndstooths seem to be a 60s thing... :sunshine: