1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My grandmother dresses

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Lotta, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Lotta

Lotta Registered Guest

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Such fabulous dresses! Are you the model? If so, they look stunning on you.

My favorites are the YSL and Valentino.

3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

How lucky you are. The dresses are gorgeous and you look great!

4. Lotta

Lotta Registered Guest

Thank you very much! Yes, I am the model. I'm very excited to have them. I don't have any occasion to wear them, though. I need to buy a ticket for the opera so I can wear one of them :)
    My favorite is the pink and white one from Pertegaz, IMO it's really beautiful and original (it's like a two pieces with a crop top and a dreamy skirt)

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Beautiful dresses! Your grandmother has great taste...they all look lovely on you!

I have the black velvet YSL dress you are wearing.

6. Lotta

Lotta Registered Guest

Thank you!
    Wow, such a coincidence! Do you wear it? Where did you get it?

Right now I'm contacting different "fashion museums" and collectors from my city. I would like to let them have some of the dresses because I don't know how to take good care of them. By now, Pertegaz have said they will happily store them (the dresses will still be mine and I'll be able to take them back in the future). Do you store your dresses at home?

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Yes. But they need to be stored carefully. No sunlight, even temperatures and low humidity. And covered with sheets, muslin or cloth fabric bags (not plastic) for dust. Unscented padded hangers are very helpful as well. These are all really fine pieces and are worth taking care of. And they look lovely on you!

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The dress I have is for sale on my Poppy's Vintage Clothing site. I purchased it a few years ago from a high end estate sale.
    Nice to know that these will be well stored for you...they need to be well taken care of.

9. Beautiful dresses! Your Grandmother has such great taste and style! You are very fortunate to have inherited these wonderful pieces.

10. INVINTAGEV

INVINTAGEV VFG Member

Wow

11. Lotta

Lotta Registered Guest

Thank you :drinkingtoast::wub:

12. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

My thought exactly!!

Gail

13. Lotta

Lotta Registered Guest

Your comments are cheering me up, thanks :) My grandmother used to do some fashion parties with friends in her garden, old style. From what she explained, it must have been magical. Now I'm in contact with one of the oldest seamstress that still works in the Pertegaz atelier, and she is sharing more stories with me from that time.

I love those dresses, but I lack from occasions to wear them. My friends are not getting married at all, they go straight to have kids.
    I'm thinking about the opera, but... any ideas?
    I live in Barcelona

14. bubblegumvintage

bubblegumvintage Registered Guest

What an absolutely divine collection your grandmother had. I'm sure she would be so pleased to see you wearing them even just for the photos :) You look spectacular <3

15. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I don't know about Barcelona, but people here still dress rather formally for the opera and ballet, especially opening night. Some thater audriences do, but usually only for opening night.

I visited Barcelona for 3 weeks back in 1971.Celebrated my 15th birthday there. It was lovely.

16. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

If you belong to any charitable or otherwise nonprofit organizations, various forms of fashion shows can be good fundraisers.
    You could model your grandmother's treasures. Willing (and eager!) models can be found for the special things that might be lurking in other member's closets or trunks. Perhaps the Pertagez atelier would be willing to participate or even sponsor. Could be good marketing for them as well.

17. Lotta

Lotta Registered Guest

@pastperfect2 If you ever come again, then, we can have a coffee dressed up with some vintage dresses :)

@mags_rags thanks for this idea! I'm going to contact people who may know about this kind of events

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  18. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Lotta - How sweet of you!