1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Great Uncle, 1905 or so

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Nate Sherman, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Nate Sherman

Nate Sherman Registered Guest

I posted this on social media and his coat got a lot of mention. I thought it would be cool to post it here as well. Also included is a shot of my Great Grandmother(his sister) around the same time.
    559E336D-94C1-4FC8-ADBE-649BA110753C.jpeg A5312447-016F-40C2-9F82-7104671C57EF.jpeg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

My hubby had a coat very much like this one that we found back in the early 1980s, so dapper! Thanks for sharing.

GemGem and Nate Sherman like this.
  3. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

Dapper guy. Wouldn't look out of place these days. Have him scrubbed and sent to my tent!

coat.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    GemGem, denisebrain and Nate Sherman like this.
  4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Her hat is Wonderful, and his coat suits him perfectly!

They are each holding something in their right hand. Looks like it might even be the same "something", but can't quite make it out. Any ideas, @Nate Sherman ?

GemGem likes this.
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

What a handsome young man! Thank you for sharing. His expression is very intense. And I love your great grandmother's tricorn beaverette hat.

6. sues*stuff

sues*stuff VFG Member

I don't know what she is holding, but it looks like he is holding his other glove.

7. Nate Sherman

I was thinking maybe she was holding some kind of fan or small umbrella…the photo was taken in Portland so..

GemGem likes this.
  8. Nate Sherman

Wow!! In color!! Thank You…looks great!!

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

After enlarging, and looking more closely, I think you're right about an umbrella, although probably normal size. The rest of it is tucked under her arm.

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I can’t tell what the man is holding, but it looks like an umbrella in the woman’s hand. The handle seems to be pointing toward the photographer and the twirled fabric is between her elbow and her body.

Vinclothes and Rue_de_la_Paix like this.
  11. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

His other glove and her umbrella.