1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my new 50s dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Retro Ruth, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I thought I'd share this picture - I'd just bought this dress from a fellow seller at my regular vintage market last weekend, and she snapped me trying it on.

It's fab - by Melbray, white cotton with a print of black lace. Once I'd unpicked a tiny alteration in the side-seams, fit like it was made for me. I still need to sew up that seam on the underarm!

Roll on summer!

Ruth

2. How darling are you!

Don't you love when something so pretty fits and makes you feel like a million? :cheer:

3. You look lovely and the dress fits like a dream. Loving your cats eye glasses as well. Cool look! :cheer:

Where is you local vintage market BTW? :)

4. Retro Ruth

Thanks for the compliments! There was a general 'wow' around the room when I tried it on, so I just had to buy it. It is so very pretty, and makes me look at least one dress size slimmer!

Louise, this is the 'Can't Buy Me Love' vintage jumble sale in North London, last Saturday of every month, at a rock-n-roll pub called the Boogaloo. It's small and friendly, a mixture of real vintage and interesting jumble.

I sell occasionally at various others round London as well, but this is my most regular one.

Ruth

5. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

Great dress, very flattering, but most of all, you shine in it! You can really tell how much you love it and that's the most beautiful thing of all. Enjoy!

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

omg Ruth, that is adorable, and you are a doll!! its so nice putting a face with the name!

love that dress,, LOVE IT!!! it looks like one of those fabulous classic that you can dress up or down! it'll be just as adorable with heels as it will with flats!~~ oh, what fun!!!! congratulations on a fab acquisition!

7. joules

joules VFG Member

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

9. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Adorable - and so fun to see you - and you in it! I would wear it in a flash.

10. Retro Ruth

Thanks so much everyone, you are all so nice, and it's so great to share this here and know you guys really understand the joy of such a find!

That's exactly right, and as it's black and white I can team it with any colour accessories. Sunny days, here I come!

Ruth

11. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

You look fabulous Ruth, that is a showstopper of a dress on you. And it is great to put a face to the name.

Sarah

12. Isabella1988

Isabella1988 Registered Guest

You got lots of cute dresses.

13. missproper

missproper Alumni

You look so cute! What a great dress! :)

14. That's a really pretty frock. My favorite color combo too!! I love when I find something so unique, cute and makes me look skinnier too. Such a lovely find.

15. granada

granada Registered Guest

love square necklines! great find!

16. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Ruth, that really was meant for you, you look super!

17. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Yes Ruth - Lovely to see you. You and VFG member Jen (Morninglorious) could be sisters. Hope everything is OK where you are located in London.

18. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

What a great dress and a good look for you, too!

Hollis

19. Retro Ruth

Hey thanks again everyone - I've been away for a few days so only just read this. And thanks Amanda, London has been scary lately, but I haven't been directly affected. Things have calmed down now.