1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My weekend find - Ossie Clark Celia Birtwell - and a few ?s

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Teresas Treasures, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Teresas Treasures

Teresas Treasures Registered Guest

This is early 70s I believe although I cannot find a tag with Radley and both Clark and Birtwell to view other than this one. Also, although it is nearly perfect there is one small make up smudge at the neckline and at one underarm some stitching has come loose. It is moss crepee - what is the best way to remove the smudge at the neckline? Also would you fix the stitching or leave as is?

These pictures are not the ones I'll be using as I want to steam the dress and tie that front tie a bit better than it is.

<center>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

</center>

2. JulieW

JulieW Alumni

Ummm, can I be the 1st to say....OMG!

3. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

Man that is soooo cute!! WOW! :jawdrop:

If you have a good dry cleaner, I would go that route on something like this. I would definitely stitch up the seam if it is an easy fix.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. Teresas Treasures

I just found the same dress listed as a 1975 print called "Floating Daisies". Mine even has an extra button still sewn to the inside of the dress at the bottom.

6. Teresas Treasures

Would you really take it to the dry cleaners? I don't know if I am brave enough to do that. The dress is in amazing condition other than the two things I mentioned and I think I might be biting my nails off if I dropped it off at the cleaners.

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Let me be the 2nd to say, "OMG!" What a find! It's delightful!
    Definitely stitch up the loose seam if you're hand with thread & needle (doesn't sound a dicey repair at all), and if you don't trust your cleaner, don't send it. But if the dress is structurally sound and the stain is indeed makeup, I can't imagine a cleaner ruining it.... But if you have a home solution you use to spot clean, you could try doing that--although sometimes I've had makeup stains get more mucked up by trying to spot clean them.

8. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

OMG!! So wearable. I love, love, love it! Definitely fix the loose stitches and if you are hesitant to send it to the cleaners, use Goddards spray. I found it at Longs Drugs here in California. It's a dry clean only spray that wardrobe folks use to spot treat delicate fabrics. I got coffee stains out of a delicate Peggy Hunt dress with it.

9. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Great find!

10. Teresas Treasures

Thanks for the "Goddards" information. I just happen to be going by Longs tommorrow and will stop in to see if I can find some of it.

11. APrizeEveryTime

APrizeEveryTime VFG Special Friend

Oh, gads, that is fabulous! And so iconic! And so hard to find!

Birtwell's "floating daisy" print was so popular that she created it in several colorways and several styles for Ossie Clark. Here is is as a coat from 1971, meant to be worn over a dress with the same colorway:

[​IMG]

And here it is on a coat, with the floral print alongside a grid pattern:

[​IMG]

(Images and info from one of my favorite vintage fashion books, "Vintage Fashion: Collecting and Wearing Designer Classics, 1900-1990," by Emma Baxter-Wright with a foreword by Zandra Rhodes.)

12. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Oh, I LOVE that!!! and great to see the other uses of this print. I'll now know the print if (cold day in hell, etc.) I ever see one.

13. joules

joules VFG Member

Gasp! Yes, it is "Floating Daisies" print, which was recently reprised for her capsule collection for Express.
    Yours is the full-on fabulous moss crepe real deal! I am so jealous. With the extra button still attached, no less. Some girls have all the luck. I've seen this dress in books or online or in an auction catalog, someplace, I'm sure. It's so iconic.

I'm going to look into that Goddard's too. Thanks Deborah. I would fix the loose stitching, Teresa.

14. Teresas Treasures

15. joules

joules VFG Member

Maybe she will buy a back-up, for her daughter! Incredible.

16. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

On the recent 'British Style Genius' programme on the BBC, this dress was revealed to have been Radley's bestseller. I can't remember the number they said had sold, but it was pretty mind boggling I think....

It's one of my favourites, but I just can't wear it in this colourway (I'm still on the hunt for a white and green version, which they showed on the aforementioned programme).

I wish I could remember the date, but it's definitely early Seventies rather than mid.

17. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

wow! that is quite a find! I love the midriff detail!! :cheer:

18. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

What Maggie said!

What a find!

And I second Sharon's recommendation for Goddard's spray, which I use very often.

19. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

Fabulous! I think we all love Ossie! Figure friendly colorful without being tacky.

He is in my top ten of designers next to Bill Gibb....

-Chris

20. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

What a WONDERFUL find! Congratulations!

I found a 1969 newspaper article that said Ossie "...recently signed a contract with Radley, a British company which will put its label in dresses selling under five pounds ($12 U.S.)"