1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mystery label on white raw silk dress - 60s or 70s

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Maddy95, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Maddy95

Maddy95 Registered Guest

Hello label experts. I am having difficulty identifying the name in the label. It could be Title or T Little but it is done in a script which is difficult to read. It is found in a heavy white raw silk dress with jeweled buttons.

It could be from the 1960s. But the dress is knee length and not mini.

This is my first label inquiry post and I apologize for the less than perfect pictures.

Thank you for your help.

Laura

Attached Files:

2. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

I’d read that as Title - it looks like ‘Old English’ font if that helps decipher. It’s a lovely dress!

3. Maddy95

Maddy95 Registered Guest

Thank you so much Harriet. It is Title Original Reg. I did a search and found only one other item (a beautiful dress) listed at a on-line vintage business. The seller reports that “Label: Title Original Reg’d. I’ve been unable to find anything on this company. There is no content label nor size label.” My dress has no content or size label either.

Is this a label that should be added to the Label Collection?

Laura

4. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

GemGem and thevintagebungalow like this.
  6. Maddy95

Maddy95 Registered Guest

I never thought about it as being a wedding dress. It definitely could have been used for that purpose.

It belonged to my recently deceased 95-year-old aunt who was most definitely a “Miss” for her long life. Everything that I am posting and will be posting will be from her collection.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

oh, there were loads of women who didn't wear their dresses above the knee in the 60s. the mini lengths were worn by some older women, but for the most part, minis were worn by younger women.

8. Maddy95

Maddy95 Registered Guest

Attached Files:

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

1960s for sure. looks like silk shantung to me. and I'd guess maybe a wedding dress for a second wedding, possibly, or a MOB or MOG dress maybe. or really, for a 1960s cocktail party (older woman) or semi formal dinner/event.

eta: although there were some really terrific polyester shantungs made in the 60s, also. my mom had a sage green dress made of poly shantung, that if a person didn't know better would swear it was silk.

10. Maddy95

Maddy95 Registered Guest

Thanks Mary. I thought it was silk shantung. It was the property of my 95-year-old, never married, aunt who passed away in February this year. I think your suggestion as a dress for an older woman attending a 1960s cocktail party would fit as she was 40 in 1966.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Very nice sophisticated 1960s dress! Looking forward to seeing more of your aunt's clothing!

12. Maddy95

Maddy95 Registered Guest

Thank you Mary Jane. She loved clothes and my sister and I are having the time of our lives as we go through her wardrobe. She kept so very much that it is taking us two months to go through the items. Then we have to figure out what to do with them! But some are staying with us.

Do you know anything about the Title Original reg. label that is in this dress? I haven't found anything on line.