1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating antique garment

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by persephone60, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

Migde, I think you're onto something. I just googled "1850s house dress" and look what came up:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Vintagiality and Retro Ruth like this.
  2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

my thoughts now: it's a dressing gown/ wrapper (adjustable morning dress) that used to have other kind of buttons only on the torso, and they were added later & the lace collar[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

If you have it there to handle, and feel the fabric is antique, then perhaps it is antique. My best guess is it is an early- mid Victorian wrapper that was re-worked into a costume. The lines of the pattern are a bit typical of wrappers of the time as well.

It is a lovely garment.

4. persephone60

persephone60 Registered Guest

Thanks, everyone! After Barbara suggested the possibility it was a wrapper, I went and found many of the pics that Katarzyna found (thanks, Katarzyna!) and saw that many home garments had buttons (like Midge suggested). I am also thinking that it is a wrapper/house garment that was reworked. Based on the silhouettes/patterns I've found, my best guess is that it was originally 1870s/1880s.

Vinclothes, Retro Ruth and Katarzyna like this.