1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating antique garment

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by persephone60, Jun 23, 2021.

1. persephone60

persephone60 Registered Guest

Hello! I need help more precisely dating another antique piece. It’s a cotton calico dress with short puffed sleeves. In my research, I’m having trouble finding this style of sleeve except in regency garments, and I don’t think the dress is that old—my best guess is turn of the century-ish? (but antique garments are not my expertise). The dress fastens with hidden buttons on what I think is the back bodice, and it has hook and eyes on the waistband and neckline. I’ve included pics, including inner bodice, fasteners, and construction pics. Thanks, Stephanie

Attached Files:

Rue_de_la_Paix and GemGem like this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It is odd, I think its late 1890s and I suspect it was intended to be worn over a blouse (shirtwaist). Looks like a rural take on fashion... did you find it in the boonies?

GemGem likes this.
  3. persephone60

persephone60 Registered Guest

Jonathan, interesting! I hadn't thought about the possibility of it being worn over a blouse/shirtwaist. I actually forget where I found it--it might have been online?