1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating open front women’s jacket :)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by JungleJuice, Mar 11, 2024.

1. JungleJuice

JungleJuice Registered Guest

Hullo, apologies if I leave out some helpful information - below I’ve included photos and description of a jacket I bought recently. I was told it was from the 1940s, but I’ve had several people since say they think it is from the 80s.

I am too young to be familiar with clothing construction from either of these eras unfortunately and would love some help :) (ignore my sleeve falling out in one of the images I’ve only just now noticed that lol)

A couple are of where the stitching has broken and I’ve taken photos of the backs of the fabric. I will sew this back in the future before it keeps on undoing itself….

The fabric feels and smells a little bit like wool when wet - but not like my other sheep’s wool garments? Again - I am not good at this haha.

Attached Files:

2. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Pretty jacket! It definitely looks older than 80s. I probably would’ve guessed late 50s - early 60s but hopefully some people more expert than I will chime in.

JungleJuice likes this.
  3. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

That was my guess as well, but also waiting for the real experts. Does it have shoulder pads?

4. I agree earlier than the 1980s.
    It appears to be late 1950s or early 1960s, with the 3/4 length sleeves.
    It does look like it was shortened, and may have been a full length coat at one time.

DecadencePast and JungleJuice like this.
  5. JungleJuice

JungleJuice Registered Guest

Oh! Yes, it has shoulder pads (as do an increasing number of my tops and jacket now actually…)

6. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

I agree with Late 50s - and that style of Asian influenced garments for Western consumption was very much en vogue at that time.

7. kadavv

kadavv Registered Guest

I've had previous experience with a similar model from the 1960s

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President