1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating sequin dress please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by adawnd, Jun 4, 2017.

1. adawnd

adawnd Registered Guest

I have this beautiful heavily beaded slip on dress that I just can't date. At first I thought 80's, but style isn't in with that era. Sequins seem to be plastic, so it can't be super old, My conclusion is 60's, or perhaps 70's disco era? Sequin and beads seem to be hand sewn on silk, and it is lined in a white cotton material. Only label is a tiny one that reads the size in red text. Thanks for any thoughts!

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I would say 80s... latter 80s. That kind of work seems typical of the Indian important from around then.

3. Yes, I agree that it's likely '80s but I have a couple of questions: when you say "slip on", do you mean that there are no openings, eg zippers? Also are there any shoulder pads?

To be honest, I'd be really surprised if the sequins were hand sewn on, it's an awful lot of work and easily done by a machine. Perhaps a home sewer might be that enthusiastic/masochistic but the size label indicates it's commercially made.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Agree, looks 80s to me. Especially with those rows of sequins so straight, that looks like machine sewn to me. Definitely something they can do by machine.