1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating silk kimono/robe

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by persephone60, Jan 8, 2017.

1. persephone60

persephone60 Registered Guest

This is a silk robe in a kimono-like style (it doesn't look like an actual kimono, but the designs on it look like Japanese designs). I got it from a collector who had pieces from the 1890s-1940s. I'm guessing it's 1920s-1940s (it's definitely not a recent piece, and I know that kimonos and kimono-style robes were popular in the early to mid-20th century). I'd love to narrow the date down more precisely if anyone can help. Also, does anyone know any good books/resources for dating robes/kimonos? Thanks!

(The last pic is a pic of the lining--there is some damage to silk where some of the "seal" decorations are.)

Attached Files:

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

3. Lucybelle

Lucybelle Registered Guest

I would characterize this as a haori based on the length. Also, I believe you are displaying this inside out (if it is an authentic kimono, which it seems to be). The mons should be on the outside. Kimono often have beautiful linings, I have several black haori similar to this (similar in style to the kimono, but they are shorter and function more like a jacket) with highly decorative linings. The lining on yours is very dramatic and I love the colors!

As Mary mentioned, traditional Japanese garments are difficult to date as shapes have remained consistent over time.

4. tiadola

tiadola Registered Guest

Hello,
    I am purely basing this off a guess from the items I've been studying. You are indeed displaying it inside out as Lucybelle says.
    Ladies haori from 1900s-1920s, late Meiji or early Taisho period.
    Guess is based off of length, the fact it's completely dark on the outside, fabric texture, lining print, lining textures, mon print.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  5. Sam Gibbins

Sam Gibbins Registered Guest

I agree both with it being inside out and being men's.
    It is gorgeous and I'm incredibly jealous 8'^(

6. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

It is lovely, I don't see earlier then 1940s but is is so difficult from photos and can be as difficult when you have the item in front of you.

I also don't think it ever worn by a Japanese person but that is only a gut feeling.

7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oohhh the style of this is very similar (though less colourful) to one I have just seen on insta. Kansai Yamamoto was the designer of a beautiful 1970’s ensemble, it was posted by the costume society (I think? I can say that). However I did read that the style was inspired by a much earlier style dating back to I think the 17thc. Not sure if that’s helpful at all.