1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Dating this Fringe Jacket & The tag for time period info

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Alexandria Dierkes, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Alexandria Dierkes

Alexandria Dierkes Registered Guest

Hello all!
    I would be incredibly grateful if anyone has any insight on this piece and the tag. I've done a good bit of research, but I'm officially stumped. It has a talon zipper that looks like it's sometime between 40's-50's. Can't pin point that either..
    Let me know if you know anything I don't! Please and thank you! Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 1.01.44 PM.png IMG_2826.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 1.26.11 PM.png

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I just found this, but I am going out in a few minutes and will look for more when I return. It gives us a couple of clues, though, as it was in a 1974 Colorado newspaper (but was advertising a ca. 1950’s jacket, I assume; MC=mid-century)
    HouseOfMorganClassifAdCO1974.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Perhaps the ad was referring to MC as "Motorcycle".

Alexandria Dierkes likes this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Nice jacket. Jackets like this were very popular in the mid-1950s. The era of the Davy Crockett television series.

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree, I thought 50s but somehow maybe later as well. But that chunky zipper looks so 50s~

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

That may be...

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

In light of what I just found (below) about the House of Morgan, I think Barbara is correct about MC being for motorcycle (or Motorcycle Club), but that is not a reference to the OP's jacket...

I found the following information in city directories for Denver CO and they ranged from 1971 to 1979 (EDITED TO ADD I later found Doris and her House of Morgan in a 1967 Denver city directory), so perhaps your jacket is not from the 1950's. Note the 1979 city directory entry that states she does custom tailoring.

Since the ad I posted earlier was from a Colorado newspaper and as it seems you bought the jacket from a seller in Colorado, I think we can safely say it was probably from Doris I. Morgan, custom tailor in Denver CO in the (late 1960's to the) 1970's:

HouseOfMorganDorisDenverCOCityDir1971.jpg

HouseOfMorganDorisDenverCityDir1973.jpg

HouseOfMorganDorisTailorDenverCityDir1979.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  8. Alexandria Dierkes

Alexandria Dierkes Registered Guest

Thank you SO much! I really appreciate it.

lkranieri likes this.
  9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thank you for the kind words, but as I said many times, I am only as good as the online databases I can find.

Just an FYI to add that I found Doris I. Morgan and her House of Morgan in Denver in the 1964 city directory, but not in the 1961 city directory. The 1962 and 1963 city directories don't seem to be online.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Vintagiality likes this.