1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating vintage shoes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by persephone60, Mar 8, 2018.

1. persephone60

persephone60 Registered Guest

I'm confused by these vintage shoes. They are embroidered and have Louis style heels. No writing inside except a 7 1/2 N and some numbers written on the inside of each shoe. They have an "older" feel, but the narrow marking indicates that they might be more recent than they feel. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Nansk

Nansk Registered Guest

Lovely shoes with a very wearable heel too! Where did you find them (as that may offer some clues)?

3. persephone60

I bought them at a flea market (from someone who was selling a variety of items from different decades). So that won't be much help (sorry!)

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

About 1965-66ish. There was a small revival of louis heels starting in about 1957 that lasted until the early 1970s - it wasn't common, but you can find examples from right through that period. The bright yellow with pink lining suggests a mid 60s colour palette, and the toe shape is transitional between the pointed toes of the early 60s and teh square toes of the late 60s. They are great fun. The embroidery also reminds me of Mexican work, which was also fashionable in the mid 60s.

Nancylou likes this.
  5. persephone60

Jonathan, thanks so much! My gut was telling me 60s because of the toe and colors, but the heels were confusing me--I didn't know if Louis heels were used during the 60s at all.