1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating wide Italian necktie

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Andrii, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

Does anyone have an opinion what era this wight be from? It is relatively wide - 4,3" so my first thought was this might be one of those 70s "kipper" ties. However it is not short - 51,2 inches so I might be wrong. Also the pattern look very 60s 70s to me but the colors are not very bright and kind of funky. Those colors make me think it maybe an earlier item. 40s maybe? The fabric is very thin 100% silk. No care instructions, the label is printed. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

It looks like late 1940's / early 1950's to me.

Andrii likes this.
  3. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

Thank you for your input Francis, it is much appreciated! So I'm starting to lean towards 40s on this one. Does anyone else have ideas?

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I could see 50s, but in my experience, the classic 40s neckties tended to be shorter, like less than 50". They were sometimes called Belly Warmers because of how they sat. Neckties did get even longer in the 70s, possibly because men's pants weren't sitting up at the waistline, so a longer tie was needed to hit the right spot above the belt buckle.

Andrii likes this.
  5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I think that this is right on the cusp of 40s/50s and probably from Tall Guy section.

Andrii likes this.
  6. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

Thank you all for the suggestions! So it could be post-war 40s to 50s when the ties got longer and more fun patterned. Tall Guy suggestion make sense to me as well.