1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help identifying a hat!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by HauntedMoonlight, Oct 3, 2021.

1. HauntedMoonlight

HauntedMoonlight Registered Guest

Hey guys, I need help identifying a hat that I bought at an antique store several years back. It was a favorite that I’ve unfortunately lost and I was hoping to try and replace/remake it, but I’m not really an expert when it comes to clothing items. I probably don’t have the best pics to help with this but lemme see what I got-

Attached Files:

2. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

I had a look at your hat and while I understand it was a favorite of yours, I don't think it would be that difficult to replace almost like for like, including the feathers.

I dare say several of the the hat sellers on these forums may have something like it or can advise where best to go to find similar, you're in luck I think, ( apart from the loss ), it's not an impossible ask or do.
    Good luck.

3. HauntedMoonlight

HauntedMoonlight Registered Guest

I-yes??? And that’s pretty much what I’m trying to do. The problem is, I’m not entirely sure what kind of hat it is, so I’m not really sure what to shop for beyond ‘black hat’.

4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Well beyond that, try Pork Pie Hat with large brim, Wool Felt Sun Hat, or Bolero or Fedora--maybe, shall I keep it going or do you think you can Google other then typing in Black Hat?

Feathers, decimate any boa you find or some Ostridge feathers and a sewing needle.

5. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

My first thought was fedora, although the brim on yours looks a bit wider. I like Avantbo's "porkpie" thought as well.

The VFG happens(!) to have a very good Hat Resource, accessible through the main vfg.org webpage, or follow the link.

denisebrain likes this.
  6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hmmmm....not a specific style, but a mix of several. It is definitly not a pork pie or bolero or sun hat. The crown has a fedora pinch, but it is not really a fedora. Reminds me a lot of the 1990s womens' hats Betmar put out under a few labels, try looking for black hats with the labels "Street Smart" or just Betmar. "Plaza Suite" is another label from that time, but those hats tended to be a bit more upscale in quality. The feathers look like rooster, cannot get a really good look but I am pretty sure that is what they are. Not ostrich. Super easy and inexpensiveto replace. Get a basic black shape and add a velvet band and sew on some pearls, and you should be able to get pretty close.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021