1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Identifying Vintage Handbag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TazMo, May 25, 2024.

1. TazMo

TazMo Registered Guest

I recently acquired a vintage handbag and could use some help from the experts here to gather more information about it.

Details I have:

• Brand: Unknown
    • Material: Suspected to be crocodile or alligator skin (not sure)
    • Color: Brown
    • Closure: Clasp (I think)
    Questions:

1. Based on the photos and description, can you confirm if the material is crocodile or alligator skin?
    2. Are there any specific features or characteristics that could help identify the decade this handbag was produced?
    3. Does the clasp closure offer any clues about its age or authenticity?
    4. What notable design elements should I highlight to accurately describe this handbag?
    5. Are there any tips for identifying vintage handbags without a visible brand label?
    6. Could you help suggest what the brand might be based on its design and features?
    Thank you in advance for your time and expertise!

Attached Files:

2. moxysquib

moxysquib Registered Guest

The zipper and lining look 1970s to me. As for the exterior, based on the vinyl appearance of the interior, I'm inclined to say it's embossed. Usually, if it's genuine reptile, it will be a nice quality lining. (Perhaps the lining is supple genuine leather and I can't tell from the photos!) Here is a good resource to read up on how to tell embossed from real: https://stonestreetleather.com/blogs/leather-endeavor/crocodile-embossed-leather-differences-with-genuine-one#:~:text=Unlike real reptile skins, stamped,tiles, grains, and scales.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Agree with 70s. those metal loops at the side suggest it had a detachable strap that has presumably been lost.

can you tell if the outside or the lining is real skin/leather, rather than vinyl? The inside looks like vinyl not real leather but it’s hard to tell from a photo. Agree that reptile would normally have a leather lining. But even embossed real leather would normally have either a leather or a fabric lining, rather than vinyl/fake leather.

If you can’t tell by feel or appearance, look closely at areas of wear or anywhere you can see the reverse.

I have had 70s ‘mock croc’ bags that were entirely vinyl, rather than embossed leather. The outside of yours doesn’t look obviously vinyl but it can be very hard to tell from a photo.

moxysquib likes this.