1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Identifying Vintage Paloma Picasso Handbag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TazMo, May 25, 2024.

1. TazMo

TazMo Registered Guest

I recently acquired a vintage handbag by Paloma Picasso, however I have very little information about it and could use some help from the experts here.

Details I have:

• Brand: Paloma Picasso
    • Country of Origin: Made in Italy
    • Material: Suspected to be suede (not sure)
    • Closure: Zip closure
    • Color: Brown
    • Hardware: Gold-tone

Questions:

1. Can anyone provide more details about the Paloma Picasso brand and its handbag designs, particularly from different decades?
    2. Based on the photos and description, can you confirm if the material is suede?
    3. Are there any specific features or characteristics of this handbag that could help identify the decade it was produced?
    4. Does the gold-tone hardware offer any clues about its age or authenticity?
    5. What is the style of this handbag called, and are there any notable design elements I should highlight?
    Thank you in advance for your time and expertise!

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The US patent number for the magnetic closure was granted in 1983, so it can't date before then... that's all I can help with...

poshthreads likes this.
  3. moxysquib

moxysquib Registered Guest

Paloma Picasso began producing handbags in the late 1980s, when she started an accessory line with her then-husband. Her diffusion line - By Paloma Picasso, which you have pictured - followed in 1992. You can find her trademark registry for that here: https://www.trademarkia.com/by-paloma-picasso-74079339.
    Her original handbags were upscale, and I think the By Paloma Picasso bags were still good quality. I honestly don't remember seeing any beyond the early 2000s, so I think you'd be safe saying 1990s.