1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need HELP pricing vintage (?) designer fashions...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Elisa, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Elisa

Elisa Registered Guest

:help:

A neighbor who is a successful movie producer gave me several black label Giorgio Armani suits, a wool Michael Kors dress (90s), an incredible Dries Van Noten jacket, and a vintage Calvin Klein coat. These are recent vintage, 1980s and 1990s (does the latter just make them old clothes?) from before she had kids. She wants to know how much I can sell them for.

I've been trolling around the Internet and feel completely confused. Each item has been dry-cleaned and is in Nearly New condition, as far as I can tell. Any suggestions? I went through the VFG label resource which was a help dating the Kors and the Armani!

2. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

3. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

The 90s are moving in on us quickly as far as being called "vintage," and certainly the 80s have been called that for a while with Fall trends leaning toward the 80s influence.

I am not quite sure what your question is..lol..but I know with some designer items, it is best not to mention they are vintage, like St. John.

Hopefully, someone will come along soon who can enlighten you more.

4. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

What Linda said. Using the designer names will bring 'em in!

5. Elisa

Elisa Registered Guest

Well, the clothes owner wants to know a ballpark price I can get for these items. I've been researching around the Net, but it is so hard to tell!

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

This type of clothing is still very difficult to put a price on, as there is a great fluctuation from seller to seller. Also, without seeing it, even in a photo, it is impossible to just say by the name of the designer.

7. Elisa

Elisa Registered Guest

I'll get right on that! They're all about a size 4 (I NEVER sell anything that small, but thanks to Marge/Viviene, I have a small half-manni).

8. Elisa

Elisa Registered Guest

Here are the first two, both Giorgio Armani black label, both wool. The first is a jacket, size 42, shoulder pads, 100% rayon lining:

[​IMG]

Next is a Giorgio Armani navy wool pantsuit, unworn, with the original inside tags and attached extra buttons. Also size 42:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Elisa

Elisa Registered Guest

Next is a beige Calvin Klein jacket, no labels except for one saying size 8, somewhat worn:

[​IMG]

This is an amazing Dries Van Noten jacket, size 38, made in Belgium, the jacket is a wool/cashmere blend, and the sleeves are entirely made of velvet, with three buttons on each cuff. It is purple with dark crimson sleeves and a single button close:

[​IMG]

10. glamoursurf

glamoursurf Alumni

Personally, I've never had any luck with Armani. But that's just me...

11. Elisa

Elisa Registered Guest

Finally, a Michael Kors wool dress, size 4:

[​IMG]

And a great GUCCI jacket, with a silver chain inside the neck with G's on either end, so soft that the wool barely made me itch to handle it!

[​IMG]

12. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

I really don't think you could clasify any of them as true vintage, I would use the term retro, designer and sell as one would through a dress agency.....they are all classic styles...so designer label collectors would be your target market, not necessarily vintage collectors.

You would need to accessorise them for images, to enhance the classic styles.
    good luck..

I would pass on them,as they would take a good while to sell on, depending on your selling venue..

13. eel

eel Registered Guest

I agree with Sara. Your target market would be the working woman type. "Vintage" may turn that type off.
    On a side note, I HATE selling stuff for others. They don't understand the amount of work it takes and always think their stuff is worth a ton of dough. Just because she paid hundreds for an item doesn't mean it'll bring much. Proceed with caution

14. Elisa

Elisa Registered Guest

Thanks so much! I appreciate the input. I rarely sell for others, and this one has thrown me for a loop because I usually sell what I know, i.e. vintage clothing or plus-size clothing.

15. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Agreed w/ the above, Elisa. My experience w/ people wanting to sell "designer" stuff that isnt terribly old or iconic work by the designers is that they assume the label will = big money.

I only consign vintage! :kiss2:

Ang

16. Laura

Laura Alumni

That Gucci is very similar to a jacket I had around 1998-99. I love that style!

Laura

17. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Honestly, as Vintage and Antique clothing dealer, I wouldn't take this on myself. Partly beacuse I am a bit hard core about the definition of vintage and partly because it's just a different customer for used 80s and 90s. To me these aren't vintage, but high quality used clothing, i.e. high end consignment boutique type stuff.

All I can suggest is check out actual sold prices on ebay for similar items. Not asking prices, but realized sales. That will give you an idea of what can be gotten. Or check out your local consignment shops. I don't think it will be the results your contact is looking for, but better to check it our first than take it on and not sell.

Hollis

18. hautecountryvintage

hautecountryvintage Registered Guest

Hi there Elisa,

I have to concur with the others on selling for others (never had a pleasant experience on this account) and also that these are going to be HARD sells/sales. They're small sizes which I almost always pass on. In my humble experience, they won't bring much, with possibly the exceptions of the Gucci & Dries Van N. I've had an Armani silk chiffon floral/paisley dress riding around my store for months, with NO bites, not even at $19.99 on auction:cry:

Best of Luck,

Holly

[​IMG]

19. Ladies, I'm pleased to read your responses because I recently passed on buying a whole lot of similar stuff - I recommended to the seller to try the designer recycled shops but the thing is, they usually like them no older than a couple of years.

Elisa, I recommend that you pass on these too: your neighbour would have paid a lot for them originally but there is a lot of this sort of thing out there and very little demand. They're too "classic" really - not young, not sexy, not particularly interesting, just those safe choices we all made in the '90s (well, most of us anyway).

If she wanted to sell them really cheap, you might like to stash them for a decade but it would have to be very cheap as they will be hard to sell in the meantime for the sort of money she's likely to want.

20. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I would have to say that I too would not bother with this type of clothing online, it is a very hard sell. These items would be better off to be left at higher end consignment boutique.