1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help: vintage lace petticoat info

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Dusty Butterfly, May 17, 2017.

1. Dusty Butterfly

Dusty Butterfly VFG Member

Hi! I was hoping to get some help dating this vintage petticoat, and also identifying what type of lace it is.

It's semi-sheer muslin -- linen I believe, or possibly silk (?) - with I believe cotton netting + embroidery on the muslin & on the netting

The closure in the back has 3 small snaps + a new looking 1/2" flat hook & eye.

I'm not sure if it's "lace" or just embroidery. I looked online (link removed by admin) but didn't see anything super close to this.

I'm novice with this type of garment so any help much appreciated, thanks!

IMG_6471001.jpg

IMG_6478005.jpg close up.jpg

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. I'm no expert with antique clothing but I'm going to suggest this could possibly be a part of an Edwardian tea blouse/skirt set.
    Wait for others with more experience in this area to weigh in, though.
    It's lovely!

Dusty Butterfly likes this.
  3. Dusty Butterfly

Thanks! Ok I'll wait to see if anyone else has more info. Thank you for replying & for the input :)

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

These can be a bit tricky to date from a photo, for sure. If it is antique, I think it is later than Edwardian. Maybe mid 'Teens to WWI era, and could have been part of an ensemble dress, meant to be worn under a skirt or dress with the bottom hem allowed to show. Or with an overblouse that covered the hips? Probably made of a linen or cotton batiste. How tall is your mannequin, or how long is the skirt?

Can you show a close up of the back closure area and the gathers around the waist? That might help in dating it.

Dusty Butterfly likes this.
  5. Dusty Butterfly

Thanks very much Barbara!

So you think it might not strictly be a petticoat, but an under layer for an ensemble that would peek out on the lower portion, if I have that right?

My gut feeling at first was 20s-30s due to the design of the lace work - seems art deco-ish, or at least more "modern" than turn of the century, so your thoughts reinforce that idea.

Right, batiste, & on closer inspection I'm pretty sure it's linen due to the way it moves - slinkier than cotton.

It's 38" from waist to longest point on hem. Mannequin is 5'9"-5'10", so it probably would have been ankle length or longer for a lady back then.

I don't see any stamps on the hardware.

Adding more pics - let me know if you see any clues

Thanks!

outside.jpg
    Outside

inside.jpg
    Inside

closure1.jpg
    Gathers

closure.jpg
    Closure

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.