1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with 50's/60's skirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by AD2007, Mar 16, 2015.

1. AD2007

AD2007 Registered Guest

Hello there, I have this beautiful skirt, and I am not sure the fabric. I was hoping someone can tell me if it's mohair or wool by looking at my photos. It's soft, but not extremely soft. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I can see mohair in your photos, but can't rule out that it's a mohair/wool mix. Mohair is the long white hairs that usually protrude from the knit. If it were pure wool the knit might still have a slightly fuzzy appearance, but it would be quite uniform. I'd love to see the whole skirt, I've never heard of a mohair skirt from those eras before.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It looks more like Angora to me, than Mohair.

4. AD2007

AD2007 Registered Guest

Thanks for your response. Here is the whole skirt. It has a very interesting lining, a plastic waterproof kind. It also has a pillow tab, which I've only seen on undergarments

Attached Files:

5. The lining, or built in petticoat looks like nylon: the early synthetic fabrics can feel very plastic and nylon like yours is quite stiff so gives fullness to the skirt. It's unusual for the type of skirt as you usually find them in fuller skirts.

The wool looks like angora to me too.

6. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

That "lining" looks a lot like a taffeta half slip that was sewn-in. Taffeta would feel "plastic/waterproof".

7. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

i was thinking the same thing as sunny. looks like a half slip sewn in instead of putting in a lining.

8. Agree it looks like angora, but if you say it is not super soft (angora is) then it might be mohair or a blend of wool and mohair.

9. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

Hi,

The skirt probably had a matching cardigan or pullover top. I agree that the taffeta slip was added in and isn't original to the skirt. The skirt would have originally probably been lined with silk.

10. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree that a slip has been added as lining and that it probably had a matching cardigan or pullover top. However, since women wore slips back then, it's quite possible that the skirt was originally unlined and the slip was added later.

11. Yes, I think the slip was added but as mentioned above I think this is the wrong slip for this skirt, so someone stitched it in at some point. Linn, I agree that there would have been a matching knit top or cardi too.

12. AD2007

AD2007 Registered Guest

Thank you all for your help :)