1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with absentee bid for upcoming auction...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by gaildavid, Jun 14, 2004.

1. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

I just received a call from an antique shop I visit who informed me that they will have some vintage clothing in their upcoming auction. Unfortuanately, I have a prior commitment and cannot attend. They are going to call me after they take inventory to see if I might be interested in an absentee bid. Do any of you participate in this kind of bidding? Should I think of a price per item or some other method to come up with an amount? Thanks for any insight...

Gail

2. Are you going to see the items prior to the auction even though you cannot attend? If so, I would just think of the highest I would want to pay for it (assuming it is sold in a lot) and make my absentee bid. I did that once on an antique dressing table. Said I would go up to $85.00 and got it for $55.00. At my DH's grandmother's auction, I wanted her small upright freezer. I just told them to bid me up to whatever it would cost to own it. Think I got it for about $110.00. It was just the sentiment of it. <p>I have also lost doing it this way, maybe only by $5.00. I actually think of the highest I would pay for it and usually add about $5.00 or $10.00.<p>Do you have a friend that knows vintage and could go in your place? That would be the best. You could even be on the cell phone together!

3. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Thanks for the input, Linda. I don't know anyone around here who knows anything about vintage and I don't want to end up with a ton of polyester ;) I will see what I find out in a few days from the owner. It may be one huge lot, in which case a few vintage clothing store owners around here have more cash than I and will probably outbid me anyway :P but if it goes in smaller lots perhaps I will have a chance.

I have been doing some thinking this afternoon and I guess I will wait to find out exactly what they have on their inventory....perhaps I can get them to email me a copy. When I know what they have and how large the lots are, I can make a better determination of what I am willing to spend.

I am glad you were able to get your DH's grandmother's freezer. I understand sentimental value.....can't really put a price tag on that!!!

Thanks again for your advise, Linda.

Gail

4. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

You need to know exactly what pieces are in each lot or if the pieces will be sold individually. Then you can decide the value to you and give them written bids.

Someone should be appointed to bid for you in the open auction, only as far as is necessary for you to win the bid, i.e., not open the bids with your left max bid.