1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with era and origin on this fine knit 20's ? wrap with glomesh style embellishment?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Katie, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

Need help with era and origin on this fine knit 20\'s ? wrap with glomesh style embellishment?

Hi all!
    Was given two of these divine things by an 84 year old lady. The history is somewhat vague. Husband was a circuit judge in India during the time of the Raj. Approx 1920's , 1930's. Im not sure if they are Indian in origin?
    They are very fine knitted wraps, appear to be cotton, but HEAVY due to the, what loops like flat wrapped metal pieces, similar to glomesh.
    One is black and one dark brown.
    Will also throw in a wide black beaded belt which has the same history.
    Any thoughts most appreciated :)
    Thanks in advance,
    Katie

2. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

another pic

3. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

nearly done :)

4. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

beaded belt

5. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

another pic

6. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

last one :)

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

THe shawl is an azuit shawl from Egypt. They still make them, but they were very popular in the twenties, often being made into dresses. The belt I don't know the origin. I have never seen a steel beaded belt with that kind of textile background.

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

They are both lovely items, Katie. It's a very nice Azuit shawl as you have quite a bit of the silver foil in it.

The belt is very unusual, I can't say I've seen one like it either.
    I think the belt may be a little older than the 1920s, but it's a difficult call.

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Jonathan is right on about your shawl, but while it is pronounced exactly as he wrote it, I think the common spelling is assuit. I understand that Egyptiana became popular in the 20s because of the discovery of Tut's tomb in 1922.

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I am not sure if there is any right spelling - every time I look that word up it seems to be spelled differently - Azuit, Assuit, Assiut, Aysut... I think its because its a translation from Arabic, which uses a different alphabet, so the spelling is somewhat undetermined.

11. I agree with the others on dating and identification of assuit - and also can offer no clues about the belt, although agree with Jonathan that it looks like cut steel. Perhaps Edwardian?

Nicole

12. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I had one additional note about your assuit, and that is that it seems to have figural designs on the bottom, which I long ago learned was associated with the Coptic Christians. Muslim-made assuits were geometric and non-figural.

13. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

Stunning! What an amazing gift to receive.

14. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

Wow! Amazing treasures and such a learning experience for me. Thanks for sharing.

15. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

Heartfelt thanks!

Wowee!
    Such a load of amazingly helpful information from so many esteemed experts! Im blown away!
    I had no thoughts on Egypt at all, I guess I was thinking UK or India but obviously the world was getting smaller even at that time. Amazing to think what a journey these pieces have had since their birth.
    Now to decide what to with these amazing gifts!
    Thanks again to you all, you never fail to come through with the goods and as has been said, provide a learning experience for so many of us.
    Cheers!
    Katie

16. TrickVintage

TrickVintage Registered Guest

i sold an assuit shawl dress once...they are so interesting !

17. A local costume museum has this great example on display - a '20s assuit coat dress

[​IMG]

Nicole

18. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh that coat dress is divine! Is that the exhibition you already talked about in your thread about the 1820/30s dress? Looks great - I wish I could be there!

Karin

19. Braxtone

Braxtone Registered Guest

The dress is wonderful.I really love it..The design and concept are awesome..Thanks for sharing it..

Regards

Braxtone
    Surendettement

20. Karin, the dress is on display at a different museum - a private collector has set up an establishment just called "The Costume Collection" and it's open for group tours. Loel Thomson has a huge collection and she rotates it - I was there recently and I'm not sure if the dress is currently on display, but if you happen to be in the neighbourhood she might be able to show it to you - and of course you could come and see me too!

Nicole