1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some information on this coat and designer

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Von Butts, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Von Butts

Von Butts Registered Guest

First time here so hope this is right place to be asking my question. I have not been able to obtain any info on this designer name and thinking it is 1950s but not sure. Help appreciated IMG_4798.JPG

Attached Files:

2. joules

joules VFG Member

Welcome, you have posted in the correct area, and thank you for focusing on a single garment in your post.

Stevens Hockanum is the fabric manufacturer, and I believe 'Topaz' in the name for this particular woolen fabric.
    The coat appears to be early 60s or so.

3. Von Butts

Thanks Joules for this so how do I know the maker of this coat? I have not ever seen a label similar to this one just naming the fabric maker.

4. I agree with Joules on all counts - your coat may have been made by a dressmaker, and so no labels from her, just the fabric one.

5. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Just as a bit of added information, Stevens was the parent company (the result of the combining of several companies over the years, including M.T. Stevens and J.P. Stevens), and as it bought up other woolen mills, the name of the original company or specific mill was often added to the Stevens name. So, Stevens Hockanum is wool from the Hockanum Co.'s mills, and you may run across, for example, Stevens Worumbo and Stevens Forstmann. There are probably others, but these three are the ones I've seen fairly often (mostly Forstmann). I had a Hockanum coat quite some time ago, and the weave of the wool was very similar to yours, although it didn't have the "Topaz" labeling. Like Joules, I think it's the name of this specific woolen fabric. And I think early 60s is about right.

It's not unusual for coats like this not to have a maker's label in them, even when commercially made. Sometimes the maker's name will be on the label with the fabric name (such as "XXX fabric for YYY company." Often I've had them with store labels sewn in by the retailer.

6. MyVintageCocktail

X-posted with you, Nicole....

As far as no maker's label goes, I'm guessing that more than half the well-more-than-hundred coats (at least--I can't stay away from vintage coats, as much as I promise myself not to buy anymore!) I've had over the years have had no maker's label.

I think so many vintage woolens are so lovely--such an enormous variety of weaves and textures, and so many of such great quality. I find most of the Stevens' fabrics to often be very interesting as well as high quality.

7. Once I bought a dressmaker's stash, and was surprised to see lots of coat patterns. I wouldn't even dream of making a coat without an industrial sewing machine but our sewing foremothers were more courageous.

8. Von Butts

Very helpful Anne and although I have been in the antique business for many years I am still learning and vintage clothing is becoming more and more interesting to me. So much to learn and I do want to give every piece due credit. So many pieces out there waiting to be rescued and worn again. New to VFG and wondering if price or value is ever discussed.

9. MyVintageCocktail

Nor would I, Nicole! And, they were definitely more courageous (at least more than I....).

10. Von Butts

Anne and Nicole, since I go way back, I will admit I did in earlier days make several coats, mens suits, sport coats and did not own an industrial sewing machine but that was when I had loads of time and not much $$. It was more of needs than fun or profit. Good Ole' Days!

11. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

my mom used to make little coats for us when we were small...dress coats anyway. The market for childrens clothing has changed so much over the decades.

12. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

That's something we're not able to do, since it varies so much depending on location and condition. But I personally find 60s coats a hard sell. I think today's women look at the shape and think "shapeless sack" instead of "chic"

13. I agree with Maggie: early '60s coats are easy to pick up and most modern wearers consider them large and shapeless. A pity. Their time in the sun will come again, but in the meantime they take up a lot of room to store and work to keep away from the moths.

14. Von Butts

You know the market so much better than I, but I still love the look so much I just can't resist the temptation to buy these beautiful creations. Just maybe there are some more like I who just can't resist buying. As the world turns....don't even mention the moth word.

15. I recommend getting it dry cleaned asap, so that if there is anything in it, it won't trouble you - and then as long as you store it well, you shouldn't have any trouble.

It depends on where in the world you are but where I am, it can be a lot of work keeping the little blighters away.

16. Von Butts

Maybe I will try the freeze~thaw~freeze method I just read about here a few days ago. Makes sense to me since dry cleaning adds so much cost to each item.