1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help: Rose Marie Reid Irish Linen Ltd Ed

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bodyshopjoyce, Dec 17, 2004.

1. bodyshopjoyce

bodyshopjoyce Registered Guest

Hi, Brand Spanking Newbie here!!
    I have a never worn, mint, with tags Rose Marie Reid Irish Linen Limited Edition Swimsuit with Cover Up. How do I determine its value? Is there a better time or site to auction than any? (I'm an eBay fan) What is Viva Las Vegas I read about? Thank you for your help!! Please email me at [email protected] cuz I sometimes forget how I got to a forum! Thanks!!! This vintaging is contagious!

2. bodyshopjoyce

OMG!! Sorry for the HUGE picture!! I told you I was a newbie!! :o

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Hi! Welcome!

I am sure someone will be able to answer your question, it just isn't me!
    (but someone is bound to come along shortly). The tag looks like a newer garment to me, but i will let someone else chime in who might be more familiar.

Viva Las Vegas is an annual event in Las Vegas featuring Rockabilly Music, but also a variety of other events. EVeryone puts on their 40s/50s vintage best to outdo eachother at the event. From sharkskin suits, to bombshells, to "good girl" looks, and everything in between. A lot of clothing we sell that time of year ends up being worn by someone to the event!

Chris

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That is adorable. Wherever you may choose to sell it, I would wait until March or April as bathing suits tend to be very seasonal.

Some of our members have done well with bathing suits on ebay, and they may be able to give you more of a price range.

Hollis

5. Patentleathershoes

6. Patentleathershoes

For posting pictures, it is easy sometimes to reduce photo size with photoshop or the software that came with your camera. Some cameras even let you rotate or reduce the size of the photo or resolution while it is still inside the camera. I am going to attempt to reduce the photo so people can see the full view

7. Patentleathershoes

Is this better?
    [​IMG]

8. bodyshopjoyce

Thanks Patentleather!
    I found this site from someone's auction that said member of vfg. Googled it... THAT I know how to do!!

9. Patentleathershoes

Cool! Keep checking back...we have members in all different timezones and someone might have more info for you later in the day. We have members in all timezones in the US and Canada, plus British members...and on the public board many other countries are represented as well!

10. That is darling. The tag does look more contemporary. I am with the others...wait until Spring (esp. for Viva Las Vegas!)

Welcome!!!!

11. Patentleathershoes

To answer your question:

"Is there a better time or site to auction than any?"

Depends...there is a difference between something having a following or a group of people who look for the label vs if there are people who look for the label on ebay. "value" is really just "going rate". if it is a label where people are not really looking on ebay for it, and you start it low, you could end up selling it for short money because the "right people" didn't happen to search for that exact thing on ebay that week. You may have to list it more than once, or decide what you truly want for it, and let that determine opening bids (the minimum you would take and be satisfied) and a Buy It Now (a healthy case scenario)

If you have the opportunity to put it on a website or ebay store or mall situation where there is no time constraint, you may have the opportunity to expand your market. It will be available for a longer period of time to people searching on the internet for it. Might not sell as fast, but you might get a higher price. Ebay can at times bring really good prices if 2 or 3 people are bound and determined and all want the same time, but on the other hand, really wonderful things go unoticed just because it didn't have proper exposure those 3-10 days that it was on ebay. I am not saying that ebay is not the way to go, but you just have to make sure it is "seen" so to speak.

other things to consider are: consigning it to a better consignment shop, OR if you have a variety of clothing items you sell and do so with regularity , look into the Babylon Mall. If it is more like a one shot deal, there is also Overstock.com and one of our newer posters on this board has whatsmineisyours.com. I noticed that on ebay unless you an item that a lot of people are actively searching for, if you don't have a few items up at the same time to bring people to your auctions. So do your research and decide what is right for you.

Hopefully, someone will come along who will know something more about the label, too!

Chris

12. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

What a wonderful set! I think it is early 60s.

I'd love a clear shot of the label for the resource, if you'd like to contribute it.

Lizzie

13. bodyshopjoyce

Hi Lizzie, I tried to get a good pic of the label, but it is so satiny and metallic gold stitching, it won't come out well. Would a style number help date this piece? Is there a resourse to reference for Rose Marie Reid items? Thanks!

14. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I don't know of any resource just for her , but we do have a short bio of her on our label resource.

Is there a zip code on the hang tag? Zip codes came out in 1964, so an address without one would indicate manufacture before then.

Lizzie

15. bodyshopjoyce

No address whatsoever on any of the tags. {sigh}

16. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Is there a zipper in the bathing suit? Metal or nylon?

17. bodyshopjoyce

Metal zipper, tab reads "CONMAR" Metal hook & eye closure at the top.

18. bodyshopjoyce

Hi!!

I'm still trying to date (&price) my Rose Marie Reid Limited Edition Irish linen bathing suit & cover up... Any advice guys? Where can i look? I've been searching the web for weeks now.
    Thanks

19. Patentleathershoes

Lizzie was thinking early 60s . If there is an address on the hangtag without a zip, it would be pre 1964, if it has a zip, than 64 or later.

Do you have a scanner available to you or at an office store? a lot of labels in the resource are actualy scanned because its easier to get a better image.

20. It's just beatiful.

I've never had a Rose Marie Reid suit, but, as mentioned, it could be early 60s. Back, metal zippers are most indicative of the 1950s, but are sometimes seen on garments from other eras, notably the early 60s.

The tag would just be helpful, as its font, its materials, its attachments, etceteras are all dating clues. For example, it's looking to me like the small, white tag attached to the right of your label might be cardboard. If so, it's probably not modern. Other things to look at would include whether the interior seams are apparently serged (typically, though not always, more modern), whether they're 'pinked' or cut with pinking shears (typically older), and how the suit is lined.

Just digging through the first, online, vintage stores I get in a search for retail pricing, I get $26., $35., $60., and $95. for used, Rose Marie Reid suits only from the 50s and 60s. Though eBay's still bringing more auction lookers than other auction sites, they seem to be going for $5-$15.50 in the last 30 days on eBay.

Of course, yours is nicer, as its unworn and comes with a cover-up. People are shopping for swimsuits for Viva Las Vegas, right now, too. I think some of the suits just labeled "Rose Marie Reid" on the eBay search are 'missing out' for not including "VLV," "Rockabilly," or "RAB" in their titles.