1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ricketykate

Ricketykate Registered Guest

Hi! I bought a wonderful little black lace dress fron a Charity shop in my village last year for £3. I put it in my wardrobe and forgot all about it till now. I have looked at the lable and it is identical to the Tullo lable I have seen on the internet. Could anyone give me any information? The dress is in excellent condition....thanks

2. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

It would be helpful if you could you post a few images of the dress and label?

3. Ricketykate

Hi Alice, I will take some photos tonight of the dress and the label and post them on. Thank you for your reply....

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

It appears, from THESE ARTICLES, that Tullo is/was an Australian designer...

5. Hi Kate,

Welcome to the forums! I got your email, today is my day off so was going to reply tomorrow.

Norma Tullo is an important Melbourne designer of the '50s-80s. Her fashions are in major museum collections here. I have quite a few of her dresses, as I collect them - she still lives in Melbourne.

I was going to blog about her, and include pics of the dresses and labels I have. There are two labels: Norma Tullo, which she used in the late '50s when she first started - here is an early dress of hers:

NormaTullo.jpg

The "Tullo" label was used in the '60s-80s. If you post pics I can confirm dating and we'd all like to see the dress too! Great find, very glad you haven't altered it.

all the best, Nicole

6. Ricketykate

Hi Nicole,
    Thanks for the reply...I really appreciate it! Here are some pics of the dress and the label as requested.....I'm not very good with all this techy stuff but here goes!!!!
    ........Have just been told by my computer that the pic files are too big so I will get my son to minimise them asap and get them on here.
    How beautiful is that red dress!!!!!! The way the skirt falls is so elegant.
    Will get back to you with the pics soon.
    Many thanks again,
    Cathy

7. Ricketykate

Hi Nicole,
    Finally been able to sort pics out.....hope you can open these!!

Attached Files:

8. Ricketykate

Nicole, I have emailed the pics to your email address on the Circa Vintage website! For some reason pdf format won't open on here. Let me know if you can't open what I have sent! Many thanks, Cathy

9. Thanks Cathy,

I can open the pdf - it looks like a mid '60s lace cocktail dress, very cute with the peter pan collar.

10. Ricketykate

Thanks Nicole.......glad you could finally see it!! Is it a true Norma Tullo and would you have an idea of what it's value is in the present Vintage Fashion market? I can't wear it as I'm a small size 8 and I don't do the dress any justice....I certainly will not be altering it as I want to keep it as original as possible. We have been hit pretty hard here with the downturn of the UK economy so a wonderful find like this has to become a contribution to the next mortgage payment rather than an indulgence.
    Your thoughts...
    Cathy

11. Hi Cathy,

Did you read our guidelines? We can't offer appraisals, sorry, as the value depends on so many different factors. You could take it to a local expert or check closed auctions on ebay but it will probably be hard to find something similar. I can tell you that I've paid all kinds of prices for my Norma Tullos - none of them made a dent in anyone's mortgage though.

12. Ricketykate

Thanks Nicole, I'm afraid I didn't read the guidelines! If I do try and sell it would I be correct in saying it's an authentic Norma Tullo......based on the photos you have seen? I don't expect this will make a huge dent on our mortgage either but, at the moment, every little bit helps! My husband is a portrait artist (www.mikeskidmoreonline.com )......have a look! In a recession as we have here unfortuneately, portrait commissions are having to be seen as a luxury rather than a necessity item!
    Thank you so much for all your contact....I really appreciate it and if finances were different I would put on weight and wear this little black number with pride!!
    Take care, cathy