1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norman Norrell for I. Magnin-Couture? Lots of ???

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by debutanteclothing, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Because we all mispelt from time to time two!

2. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

Ok, I've been in contact with Deborah at antiquedress.com

She took a guess that Denise could be the name of the style, as we both have brown ones and we have no idea what the green one at FIT says, and 420 could be color number. Who knows.

So once again Deborah, you could be correct!

Sandra

3. debutanteclothing

Update-I got in touch with the former Director of Textiles at Doyle NY. They no longer do auctions so she is now a consultant for them.

Here's what she had to say about "Denise"

Dear Sandra

Ah yes, I recall this one! Denise was one of his fit models which means it was a runway model. Yes, too bad about the belt missing, it means that no collector or museum curator will go for it.
    I recall the Doyle one went to a museum.
    I can offer it to Sotheby's London to see if Kerry would be interested for her November sale

Best wishes and thank you.

Clair

So there you have it-Denise was his model.

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Great bit of detective work, Sandra! Have you decided what you are going to do with it?

Lizzie

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I thought perhaps Doyle's had closed that department.

If you are in the US, and you are going to send it to live auction you might consider Whitakers in New Hope, PA - you wouldn't have to deal with the international shipping, lack of insurance over $650, and difficulties of the falling dollar and currency conversion.

And as most of us know from trying to buy at Whitaker's- the prices go high there!

Hollis

6. debutanteclothing

I have no idea.
    Clair did give me an estimate, which was much lower than the price it fetched at Doyle because of the missing belt. That made me sad. Stupid belt!

Plus I would pay 15% commission, 1% insurance and photography fees, all in Sterling Pounds. Sounds expensive.

I might have to do it here in the states. Hollis, do you have contact info for Whitaker? I'm curious what their estimated value is.

I don't want to put it on eBay, because I just don't think it would go for its estimated value.

Maybe I'll consign it at a place like Decades or something. I'm in California.
    I've had one interested potential customer already. Maybe a private sale.

What are your thoughts?

Sandra

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That would be Karen Augusta and Charles Whitaker.I think it's Whitakerauctions.com, but if you Google, you will find it.

Hollis

8. anessa

anessa Guest

Any updates on this?!?

9. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

The coat in the FIT exhibition has a 4" wide belt. Claire

10. debutanteclothing

Ok, I have updates!

Whitaker said they only take lots of 30+ items. I thought that was odd.

Leslie Hindman is interested in it. but I've heard mixed reviews about their auctions. Anyone care to elaborate?

Do I dare sell it in my store? I just don't think I can attract the type of customer that is willing to pay the amount that has been estimated for the coat.

Thoughts? Advice?

Sandra

11. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

You have nothing to lose by putting it your store for a bit while you sort out what you want to do.

Hollis

12. wyomingvintage

wyomingvintage VFG Member

13. debutanteclothing

Very true Hollis.

Now if I can just get my manni to stand up straight...

14. debutanteclothing

Just wanted to let you all know that the coat has been shipped to Leslie Hindman Auctions is being prepped for the Sept. 27 auction!!!

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for all your help and guidance.

Sandra

15. kaleidoscopecarousel

kaleidoscopecarousel Registered Guest

Sandra,
    Awesome find. Is it velvety?
    I would have been wearing that thing all around the thrift store strutting it lol!!!
    I am addicted to thrift stores!

Billie

16. AnyDayNow

AnyDayNow Registered Guest

Hello,

I am new to the forums - what a great coat!

I found a vintage mid 40's Traina-Norell, not thrifting, but at a local fund raiser for the Educational Fund. Imagine my surprise. I chose to donate mine, contacted the V&A and they accepted the dress. It was a buttery soft silk that melted in your hands. Loved that dress. I do hope that is okay that I am posting a picture of it.

When I was researching I checked the VTG labels for this one but it was not there. The I. Magnin label was not there either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President