1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novelty print: What do you see?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by denisebrain, Jun 21, 2013.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Rayon outfit, dating from the early 40s, maybe a little earlier. The print's figure can be seen turned in various directions, and I think I am rooting for a soldier with his thumbs up. In that case the helmet looks like WWI to me. Any thoughts about the print and what it portrays?

navywh40sthumbsupsuit1v.jpg

navywh40sthumbsupsuit4v.jpg

P6215538.JPG P6215539.JPG

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

i agree with WWI soldier and thumbs up. I think it was a motif of the time.

4. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Yep just as you said Maggie- gosh its fabulous!

5. Retro Ruth

Check these out, ebay items 160931483955 and 161045522463

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

denisebrain likes this.
  6. denisebrain

Ah, so! I was wondering if a WWI soldier with thumbs up was something dredged up at the time of WWII. I appreciate your help!

7. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Wow, that is an amazing print, and the comparison examples Ruth found are wonderful!

8. Retro Ruth

The postcode and pin both date to WWI time, but I can't find anything specific about it. Yes, perhaps they brought it up again in WWII.

9. I see :USETHUMBUP::USETHUMBUP: too. Great print!

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is pretty nifty! I bet Jonathan would have liked that for his 40s book!
    It might work for his exhibition. I don't know if he is still adding to that.
    WARdrobe: Fashion during World War II

11. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

12. WOW! Totally agree. Thumbs up! That's remarkable, Maggie.

13. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Maybe this is stretching it too far, but it could be promotion of the black out - the air raid wardens who enforced the black out (at least in the UK) wore helmets like that which were often white. I was reminded of this due to the recent death of Dad's army actor Bill Pertwee who's famous line was 'Put that light out!' but it would fit with the dress's colour scheme too.

denisebrain likes this.
  14. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Great print - I think it may be inspired by wearing white for blackouts - and the helmet does resemble a WWII ARP (air raid patrol) helmet which looks like a WW1 soldier's helmet. The thumbs up isn't a motif I have seen used during WWII but if this is early war it could be revived from WW1. The style of the dress looks pre 1942 to me, so that fits. Most of the air raid precautions in the U.S. were done at the very beginning of U.S. involvement, winter 1941/42, by 1943 it was clear there weren't going to be any aerial bombings and ARP got slack. If this dress is English, or the fabric is English, then it could be 1940-41. Wearing white at night during blackouts was recommended to avoid being hit by cars.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  15. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

And now its mine!

16. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It's perfect for WARdrobe!

17. denisebrain

I'm honored...and so glad to hear more about it! Thank you Jonathan!

18. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

19. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I knew it!!!! Happy to hear it will be part of your WARdrobe collection, Jonathan and that Maggie made a quick sale too!

20. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Great dress and now it has found the perfect new home!