1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old burlesque costumes, get ready to cry

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by eel, Jul 28, 2010.

1. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thanks for the link, Angelgrace, her bio is quite special!
    and that info about the movie "Gilda" being based on her is quite interesting indeed and the kind of money she earned back then, wow!

2. eel

eel Registered Guest

Thanks so much Jennifer and Nicole! Just what I was looking for!

If anyone has suggestions on how or who can back that butterfly dress please let me know.

As for the rest, I don't know what to do with em. They're just in a box. It makes me feel good to know I own a little bit of fun history.

3. intrigueu4ever

intrigueu4ever Registered Guest

All I can say is WOW:insane:...What a wonderful thing to see, thank you for taking the time to share this with us!:wub:
    Truly AMAZING!!

4. trapman

trapman Registered Guest

Well, I'm late to this party and it looks like I'll be the only guy attending. At the height of her career in the roaring 20's Gilda Gray owned a mansion in my home town here on Long Island. I've been researching her story for several years, with the intent of writing a biography, and have accumulated a lot of her memorabilia as well as hundreds of pages of newpaper clippings, refernce materials, magazine articles, photos, autographs and on and on. A bunch of the stuff I've managed to collect originated from the same source where you found these eye-popping dresses. Eel, I'd like to hear from you to learn more detail about the day at the market. (I've talked to a few other people who were there. In fact, one told me he bought a heavily beaded top half of a costume in black and white.) I'm trying to recreate the scene from eyewitness accounts for a chapter in the book. I can help you with provenances and provide you with lots of info on Gilda. Whatever happened to your dresses? Please contact me at [email protected]. Thanks

5. Wow...don't know how I missed these the first time around?? Trapman that is excellent that you happened to find our forum and can fill in the blanks! A most exciting story here.

6. trapman

trapman Registered Guest

Hi,
    I'd be happy to answer any questions I can. Gilda Gray led an action-packed and exciting life. Anyone have any stories?

Would really like to connect with member eel. Can't get thru on U2U -website won't let me. Can anyone out there connect with her and ask her to write me. Thanks all.

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't know if anyone here actually knows her, she is not a trade member here but a friend, so we don't have much info on her. This was the last post that we had from her, so it's been awhile since she's been to visit with us.

8. Laura

Laura Alumni

And trapman, it isn't just you - the u2u system has been disabled due to problems.

I hope eel stops back in and sees your message!

9. Flannery Crane

Flannery Crane VFG Member

Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!

10. eel

eel Registered Guest

Hi, all I haven't been checking in here as much, mostly because the only Internet I currently have is on my antique iPhone and also I have greatly cut back my shopping as sales at the flea market have slowed and I am trying to rid myself of, well, too much crap.
    A friend (Ookoo) shot me a message to check in here.
    Hi trapman, I gave a brief description of the scene at the market where I got these. I honestly did not see ANY other womens costumes or clothing other than what I bought and a pair of costume boots that were snappped up just before me. I tried to buy them off the woman but she said her daughters would want them.
    Mostly furniture, ranging from antique and deco to ikea stuff.
    There was a beautiful painting a guy bought that I now wonder if it could have been a pertrait of her???

I hope you got those scrap books. I remember them being pricy and I don't do ephemera, but they were huge and amazing!
    I will shoot you an email in a bit.

11. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

What a fabulous find!!