1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oooohhh, is this a vintage Cheonsang? What Era?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Jun 19, 2021.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I found a timeline of the evolution of the Ao Dai, of course to add confusion, mine seems closer to the 1950 style than any other. Which is perplexing since it is a woven polyester which can't predate 51', haha. Add to that that in the history the raglan sleeve was not added until the 1960s, we certainly have an AO Dai that must be 60s or later. I rather think mine might be 70s, but it's more of a hunch at this point and i need facts :) The more modern 'traditional' (post 90s) ones I have seen have higher/more starchy collars or else a rounded necklines, or neckline with mesh inserts and etc. I am still confuzzled. I think I may try to follow the fabric makers trail.

ao dai timeline.png

Midge likes this.
  2. Here are quick photos of one of mine. The leaves are hand painted.
    This one is fairly modern.

oriental dress.jpg oriental dress 2.jpg

It has the similar style as your does.

GemGem likes this.
  3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oh gosh, that is so pretty, I love those hand painted leaves! (green is my fav colour)

Is it all hand sewn too? It's really interesting that they hand sew every seam even in modern ones! Must be so time consuming. What is the fabric? The green looks like it may be shiny in the sun?

4. I will need to pull it out again and check the details.
    It very pretty in person.
    If I was tiny, I would wear it

GemGem likes this.