Opinions on scarf dating?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by plousia, Apr 10, 2024.

1. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

I always find scarves so hard. This one sadly had a label which has been cut off. Why don't these people think of future vintage hunters?!

The motifs remind me of 50s, but the colours look quite 80s. I *think* it's rayon, but can't be sure as there's nothing to take to do a burn test. Hem is machine-sewn.

Can take more pics if that would be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Can you provide a clear close up photo of the hem? Thanks!

3. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Sure, here's both sides of the hem as well as the label remnant.

Attached Files:

4. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

hmm the miniscule bit of label remnant I was able to snip off seems to burn test as rayon? I'd guess that would place it earlier if so?

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I wouldn't say the scarf is rayon because the label is.

Tell me... what is that design in the upper right of the full scarf photo?

6. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Oh no, I thought it was rayon before doing the burn test. It absolutely feels like rayon, but other than the label there is nothing to burn to be sure.

I thought the label being rayon might indicate an earlier date because I assume later labels are usually synthetic?

Do you mean this design?

Attached Files:

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I meant the design in the upper left of the first photo you posted of the whole scarf. I wouldn't use the label's material as a factor, in all honesty. There are other, bigger things to look at first.

Attached Files:

8. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

OK. That design is a small round jewelry box with what looks like a gold necklace draped over it. I have washed the scarf and it's hanging to dry so I'll have to take a picture probably tomorrow.

There are also a couple more minor motifs of what look like jewelled necklaces, which can be seen at the bottom of the full scarf picture.

9. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Here is a picture of the design as requested:

Attached Files:

10. I am getting a 1980s feel.
    I have a similar scarf from the 80s with the same bright colors.

11. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

12. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Those saturated jewel tones look early 90s to me 91/92 - there was a big scarf wearing trend at that time too.

13. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Ok thanks all!

14. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Thanks for the additional answers and photos... I think this is an 80s/90s cusp scarf styled after a 40s/50s cusp design.

15. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Thanks for the additional confirmation. A bit of a pity it's not original, but it's still a really pretty scarf.

16. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

It's original 1980s and very pretty!

17. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

I guess I should have said "original 40s or 50s" but it is indeed gorgeous. I am slightly tempted to keep it :D

bycinbyhand likes this.
  18. Muhammad omer

Muhammad omer Registered Guest

I am in the scarves business of all kinds. Can guide in detail about all kinds of scarves and silk square because that is my area is specialization

19. Muhammad omer

Muhammad omer Registered Guest

For any information on scarves you can ask me