1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oriental robe..Chinese?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by chloe le fay, Jan 24, 2018.

1. chloe le fay

chloe le fay Registered Guest

Hi everyone.
    I recently went barmy at a vinatge auction over this robe. I was encouraged as the woman I was bidding against is an expert in this kind of thing and she really wanted it, so I convinced myself (maybe foolishly ) that is was worth the battle!
    but now I don't have a clue what I have. I don't want to make some awful cultural faux pas listing it but presumed its Chinese. but era and value would be very helpful.

(BTW I'm new to using this forum and Im really not sure how to navigate it yet so please let me know if I'm committing any faux pas.
    Im struggling to get pictures up for you and have followed the info on other forum but still doesn't seem to be working?

xxx)http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u484/crystalvintage/IMG_9423_zps1i0roetm.jpg
    http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u484/crystalvintage/IMG_9427_zpsjrzcclif.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  2. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

This looks like a nice antique Chinese robe that's partially kesi (tapestry) woven fabric and partially embroidered, though some close-ups are necessary to be sure. I suspect the gold threads of the design on the robe and the sleeve bands at the ends of the sleeves are couched, a question close-ups will also answer. If you look closely at the metallic threads, you'll probably see non-metallic, often red or orange colored silk threads looping over the metallic threads to secure them in place. That's couching, an embroidery technique. The robe could also be entirely kesi-woven with the gold elements the only embroidery. Close-ups!

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a beautiful garment indeed. No wonder you went crazy over it at auction. While I am a bit out of my element on this one, and we would need close ups and detail photos, it looks pre 1930s to me. Is this lined, and can you show the lining? The embroidery looks especially fabulous.