1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[OT] Pears Transparent Soap

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Circa Vintage Clothing, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Could they have changed because of the peanut oil? They thought someone with peanut allergies would sue?

I would complain, as the rest had said.

I am wondering...maybe the royal seal is gone because now its made somewhere else...like China?

2. boncly

boncly VFG Member

The "old" version that's available in the Vermont Country Store said it is made in India.

I think I've read where that company sometimes contracts with companies to reproduce foods/candy, toiletries, etc. to duplicate the "old" (original) formula. I think, if enough of their customers request an "old"version they try to do that.

BTW, I have on interest in that store. :)

Diana :rudolph:

3. My recall is that the product was originally made in the UK - and was fairly expensive. I still bought it because a bar lasted much longer than normal soaps, so didn't mind the extra money.

Then in the '90s, manufacturing went to India. It went off the market for a while, and then when it came back there were problems with quality - I can remember being excited about it's return (I had used Body Shop soaps in the meantime) but the new cakes had hair and cracks and all kinds of sloppiness in them. Disappointing, but quality improved.

The brand ownership was sold a while back but it had still been made to the same recipe - that's all changed now. The royal warrant was still there until recently but that's gone too now.

Interesting about the peanut oil but it wasn't noticeable in the fragrance so I think they could have replaced that without too much difference - but they've also taken out the natural fragrances of cedarwood and herbs like thyme. And added a heap of chemicals. They used to also say that each bar was mellowed for three months to produce the transparent colour, but now the packaging just talks about being a "200 year old brand" and no mention of how it's made.

I rang them and left a message and I'll write them a letter too. Part of me wants to do a petition and part of me just wants to accept that things change, and as customers we don't have a right to expect them not to. Dearie me.....I'm using my last bar of the old formula, I'm going to see if I can find some old bars around the place and then ebay some more. But ultimately I'll be looking for a new product - Neutrogena is available here, but it's very expensive.

Nicole

4. Good news! I found a supermarket today that had some of the old recipe - and I bought the lot. All 23 bars of it. That should keep us going for some time (although I feel a bit guilty for depriving their other customers).

Sad, isn't it? I'm very fond of Pears.

Nicole