1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

other buyers buy my stuff and resell :-(

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TrickVintage, Jun 18, 2010.

1. A fabulous thread. It's great to find so many like-minded and supportive friends and colleagues. Three cheers for the VFG!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Yes I want to weigh in as well that this has been a really interesting read, very useful.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest too...

I have only very limited experience with selling vintage, but at least one of my ebay sales of a dress that didn't really fit me went to a dealer, and I think I got a fair price for it - but I'm sure the buyer wouldn't have bought it at that price if he didn't think he could sell it at a higher price. But that's life... I can live with it. If I had sold it at the flea-market I would have gotten less for it.
    I've experienced a lot of things in my field of fashion doll (Barbie) collecting and have developed a philosophical view of these things.

What I've seen happening often at doll fairs was that one dealer would buy a dressed doll from another one, but actually only wanted the doll, or only her outfit. And for sure, the buyer would undress the doll and then try to sell the dress/doll he hadn't wanted right away at his stand... and maybe not even so cheaply. It has happened to me we things I sold at our club's fair - but then I have done the same thing too, although never directly at the same fair :bouncy: .

Karin

4. cemetarian

cemetarian Registered Guest

I remember the first time that happened to me. I was furious. But mainly due to the fact that my slightly faded dress became EXCELLENT condition when it went to the other seller. LOL

All that aside. It's the way of the world and the survival of the fittest. I agree with the above. Start/price it at what you will be happy with and then let it go.

I've had to put spectacular designer dresses in LOTS just to make them go away after months of sitting on them and I've had study pieces that were truly rags sell for high prices.

It just all depends on who wants what and when they want it.

So don't Sweat the Petty Things and Don't Pet the Sweaty Things.

Take what profit you can get and run to the bank.

5. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

:clapping: Hehehe...thats funny

Melody

6. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

I have to say thanks to you, Melody.

I have been having a hard time trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong as I don't have a great turn over, and I can list an item that is very similar to one that has sold for $200-300, but end up getting $30 if I'm really lucky.

So - I am in this mode of 'finding my niche' as you said & it's good to read that affirmation.

As long as I sell & make a profit, I don't really care what 'they' can get for it.
    Now if I can just remember that.
    LOL!