1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oversize novelty plastic fruit beaded necklace

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Pinkcoke, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I rarely buy necklaces as a lot are too short and thin for me, but I was ecstatic to find this fun and chunky number, in the perfect length and scale: the pictures weren't great but I thought it could only be from the 80's or 40's/50's from the style, upon arrival it looks really good, the plastic moulding is a finer quality than I'd expect from 80's, no ridges on the mould seams etc. It has some crackling on a few pieces as you do with older plastic, but no missing beads, and the screw barrel fastening has decorative bands, as do the flat crimps, in a sort of roman scroll? effect. I thought this may point to an older item as well as I've never seen that level of detail on more modern pieces (after all, the crimps get squashed, why decorate them?)
    I would love to know your thoughts, have you seen an oversize piece like this before? It was a pain to photograph for focus and colour - I added a tape measure to my photos for scale, but that's best seen in the original picture on the stand. The grape bunches are 1 1/4"! they are a mixture of clear & cloudy plastic beads, It has two apples each with a large bubble inside, leaves and flowers in shades of green, yellow and pink plastic, the large round beads seperating the clusters are moulded with twisting facets, sweet style, and are actually a squashed oval shape, flatter on each side; I thought this was an unsual shape. Melanie.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

darling necklace! You can actually buy crimps that are scrolled like that, I assume that was likely the case here. It makes a nice detail along with the clasp.. sorry bead nerd moment

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Thanks, I thought that its nicely made too, I just haven't seen those crimps before, do you think this makes it more modern? actually at one point I did wonder if it had been re-strung as the clear thread is the sort currently available, but the clasp finish made me think that could be the original.

4. joules

joules VFG Member

I think it is 80s or later. I seem to recall having something similar, in the pastels, with a variety of beads in this sort of fun style.

5. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I had a similar one in the early 80s too. I wore it a lot until the stringe broke...