1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

The label on this Dior is Patron Original. My guess is that it was sold to a manufacturer.
    This dress is very convoluted for rtw, but probably could be adapted. What do you think?
    The construction is completely haute couture.
    Any thoughts about the label?
    Thx for your input. Claire

Attached Files:

denisebrain likes this.
  2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Claire, you can see this is from a 1971 article...
    DiorPatronOriginal.jpg

Attached Files:

3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

This is very helpful. Do you have the first section of the article?

Based on the article, a very good dressmaker in another country would buy the pattern, take it to the fabric dealer, purchase the fabric and get a label for each garment they made for clients. Is that right?

Actually, they probably used a Commissionnaire who made the purchases for them. Manufacturers in the US like Davidow, Jablow, and stores like Saks would receive a Reference which listed all of the fabric and notions for each design and usually a garment.

This is not what I expected. The dress I have is very complex and the construction is traditional haute couture--no shortcuts.

The clipping from the V&A is the listing from Dior's book. It is different from a Reference. The Reference includes the name of the Commissionnaire as well as the items to buy.

I have a dress that was made by a Dressmaker in Stockholm. The same model was purchased by Vogue Patterns for a pattern. I think it is also a Dior. The pattern isn't with the dress today.

I think I'm going to leave my YouTube video as is--wrong--for now and come back to the label and just focus on the label. I assumed it was sold to a manufacturer. This dress is very convoluted and I then considered how you could make a successful rtw design.

As always, you are a jewel to share you vast collection of knowledge and articles.
    Many thanks, Claire

Attached Files:

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Claire, I posted messages to your inbox about the article. Please read that/those. Lynne