1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paul Jason question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Maëlys, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Maëlys

Maëlys Registered Guest

1970s Paul Jason dress

I didn't find much information about this brand, but it seems to be English, as other garments from that brand have a tag reading "Paul Jason of London".

The fabric is synthetic and typical of that era, it's stretchy, rather thick, woven with shiny (nylon?) threads to create an iridescent/sparkly appearance and a bit rough to the touch. I think there might be a name for it but I am not a native speaker and cannot remember, I'm sorry. I included a close-up picture.
    I also included a picture of the reverse side to the tag.
    1647962094151.jpg 1647962094126.jpg 1647962094099.jpg 1647962189360.jpg 1647962094139.jpg

2. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

It almost certainly is British - they spell 'Fibres' correctly on the label! :)

Paul Jason ad from 1974:

paul-jason.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  3. fridaybutnotmonday

fridaybutnotmonday Registered Guest

Thanks to NylonNostalgia's reply I was able to track down and do a bit of research on Paul Jason, or more specifically, the High Street Address. From what it looks like, 17 High Street, Inverurie held several different boutiques in succession in a very short period of time during the 1970s. This address is just outside Aberdeen, Scotland, though I'm sure later in the 1970s Paul Jason could've moved to London and started designing clothes from his home, etc. While I can't find any more about him at this time, I do know this is a wonderfully rare item, and could be one of a kind!

4. fridaybutnotmonday

fridaybutnotmonday Registered Guest

I will say the care tag makes me iffy about this and it could be from a different and more prominent designer, though he could have made his own!

5. Maëlys

Maëlys Registered Guest

I hadn't thought of looking at the address on the ad, I'll look more into that too! Thank you so much for the information, it's really interesting, I've seen several dresses and shirts from that brand/designer from vintage sellers so I imagine if it is indeed the same person, that his activity must have developped in the late 70s/80s. :)

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

7. KatFah

KatFah Registered Guest

Hi, I have been researching Paul Jason too as I have 2 of his dresses in my collection. I have been trying to date them but haven't had much luck finding any info, until this forum conversation came up in my google search. I decided to join the guild and find out a bit more about him and other designers. One dress has the exact same label as posted above (with an extra label that state: CRIMPED TERYLENE 100% Polyester Fibre) and the other is the same but without the size added - The size is on a separate one with measurements included and has Polyester written underneath. They are pretty wild - one being hot pink & black angled strips and the other apple green and black wide vertical panels.

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

9. KatFah

KatFah Registered Guest

Oh OK thanks, that’s great. I will do that later today. Cheers

10. KatFah

KatFah Registered Guest

@Midge Hi, as suggested by you Midge here are the photos I have taken of the 2 Paul Jason Dresses I have - would love it if you could help me date them. I also come across some design labels that I can not find anything on - I will check this site first but would it be ok if I then posted pictures of them and see if any of the members can enlighten me at all? Thanks
    PJ 1.jpg PJ 2.jpg PJ 3.jpg PJ 4.jpg PJ 5.jpg PJ 6.jpg