1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"PEERLESS DANDY" Label, Has anyone seen this designer before?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ImAud, Jun 4, 2017.

1. ImAud

ImAud Registered Guest

"PEERLESS DANDY" Label, also includes HECHO EN CUBA and MZNA DE GOMEZ - HABANA. I've googled the heck out of this and can't find anything on it! If anyone has ever seen this designer, please let me know...it's a complete mystery right now haha!

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is a Feb. 1949 ad by Peerless Dandy with/by Manzana de Gomez:
    IMG_6925.jpg

3. ImAud

ImAud Registered Guest

That's it! I've been looking for how much the clothing retails for now. Seemed kind of rare since I couldn't find a thing on it.

4. ImAud

ImAud Registered Guest

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I thought Manzana de Gomez was a person (I don't speak Spanish), but apparently it was a shopping mall. I gather, then, that Peerless Dandy was a store in the mall:
    IMG_6930.jpg

6. ImAud

ImAud Registered Guest

I noticed googling that! I just thought maybe it was someone who was prominent in the area and had a building named after him. It must be like their version of something like a sears and roebuck or more high end

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I just read an article in my paper about the Manzana de Gomez, as the new hotel and boutiques have just recently opened. It said the same about the history - the first European-style shopping arcade, built in 1917. The upper floors held offices, shops were on the ground floor. After the revolution of 1959, the Cuban state took over and the building and the shops went continually downhill. The new hotel built in it is a 5*-Kempinski hotel, and the boutiques now are all high-end designer labels - nothing Cubans themselves could afford.

ImAud likes this.