1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pencil and Wiggle difference?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by caseyd1981, May 5, 2008.

1. caseyd1981

caseyd1981 Registered Guest

So, I have a dress to list and I've searched photos of "wiggle" dresses and "pencil" dresses, to try to help me describe my dress. All of the photos look the same. Is there not a difference between the two?

2. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

Here are my thoughts, and I am not an expert

Pencil skirts are straight and form fitting and Wiggle skirts are smaller around the hem to make the wearer's knees close together causing a wiggle when they walk

3. caseyd1981

caseyd1981 Registered Guest

aahhh! That makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much, I believe what I have is a pencil skirt then.

:)

4. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Also, it is my understanding that a true "wiggle" skirt will NOT have a kick pleat or slit.

:D

5. I think that "pencil" is a skirt design, not a dress, so if you have a fitted dress that isn't a wiggle, I'm a-thinking you have a fitted dress, not a pencil. Pencils are straight up and down, and usually have slits in the centre back or sides for walking.

Wiggle is one of the most over used and abused terms in ebay-dom. It never fails to amaze me what sellers will call a wiggle.