1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help: How Do I Date This David Paul New York Shirt?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by SamSim, May 10, 2019.

1. SamSim

SamSim Registered Guest

Thank you for clicking on this! I recently bought a vintage David Paul New York button down. The pattern is so unusual, I'd like to know if there's a specific name for the shirt. There are lots of numbers on the tag (see below), but I can't find anything about it through a Google search, nor can I find a picture of the same shirt anywhere. The David Paul New York label doesn't appear to be in the label resource yet, either.
    RN 88914
    Style # 24-7831
    Lot # 6249/1974 <----- Is this the year?

If anyone knows anything about this or knows where I could find out more, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Can you please post some photos of your shirt, that will help us to help you.

3. SamSim

SamSim Registered Guest

SAM_0246.JPG SAM_0247.JPG SAM_0249.JPG SAM_0240.JPG SAM_0241.JPG SAM_0241.JPG

Attached Files:

4. SamSim

SamSim Registered Guest

Thanks for replying! I have responded with photos, which I hope are helpful. I'm curious if the item or at least the pattern has a name, too.
    Thanks again!

5. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

I would describe the pattern as toile pastoral. I don't know the label but my guess is 80s

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I would call the pattern a "Toile de Jouy."

wyogems likes this.
  7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

From the look of the label it looks like it must be from the 1990s as the company was established in 1992. So it's a ladies blouse as the buttons do up on the left and this company states it is categorized under Women's Outerwear. That sort of print is called toile de jouy.

D A M Clothing Inc is a privately held company in New York, NY and is a Single Location business.

D A M Clothing Inc
    David Paul New York 240 Madison Avenue Floor 2
    New York, NY 10016

Categorized under Women's and Misses' Outerwear, Nec. Our records show it was established in 1992 and incorporated in New York.

8. SamSim

SamSim Registered Guest

SO much help in so little time! Thank you all for the interesting information. I would have never known it was categorized as outerwear! Or guessed the mid '90s, for that matter. Thanks again, Ladies, and Happy Mother's Day!