1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help identify Iolani Hawaiian Shirt. Is it vintage?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by garmentexchange, Feb 9, 2012.

?

This Hawaiian shirt by Iolani looks vintage but I am not sure? Any help would be appreciated.

1. Vintage

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Era

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. garmentexchange

garmentexchange Registered Guest

can anyone help identify if this hawaiian shirt is vintage? The brand is Iolani.

Attached Files:

2. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

It would help if you show a picture of the entire shirt...and maybe edit your poll question to something like: Is it vintage? with the possible response options Yes / No

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Brenda that we need to see the whole shirt. I checked the label resource and it does not match the ones we have in our resource:

http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/iolani/

But I found the label in the Schiffer , "Hawaiian Shirt Designs" book - so I think the shirt is vintage. Please show us the whole shirt.

Thanks.

4. garmentexchange

thank you brenda. i am new to this but i do catch on quickly! i will make corrections now.

5. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

I think it is vintage but do not know the date. Guessing 60s.

6. garmentexchange

thank you for your help. i am going to check the library for the Hawaiian shirt design book. great idea. again, thank you both.

7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

other things to check: the seam finishes: they should be french finished, or possibly selvage?

also it looks like the button holes are horizontal rather than vertical? and they look like coconut or wood buttons? (although those are easy to swap out...). and it looks like it does have a patch pocket on the left chest? and that the print matches up (perfectly)

pretty sure that's the Aloha Tower...

[​IMG]

and of course, those are anthiriums (flowers).

8. Linn

I just flipped through my three books on Hawaiian shirts and Aloha attire and I think the shirt is from the 1950's. I didn't find the exact shirt - but of course there are a gazillion prints. The building is an artist's depiction of the Aloha Tower. I'm not sure what the two buildings on either side of it, at the bottom are supposed to be - they are not there alongside the real one! The label is the first one shown in Nancy Schiffer's book - but that doesn't mean that it's the earliest, however it strikes me as a '50's label and '50's shirt. I just did a quick search for Iolani vintage aloha shirts and the first shirt that came up on eBay is a 1950's shirt with the same label as your shirt.

Just want to say, I am not an expert on Aloha shirts even though I have lived in Hawaii for a really long time.

9. The Vintage Merchant

Linn...I'm wondering if it's not from when they reopened the marketplace...when was that the late 80s?? guess i could look it up...anyway, some of the shirt makers issued old time vintage-look prints for various "events" and maybe this is one of those...the lower buildings could maybe be the surrounding pier market shops????

the seam finishes might help on this one...and, does it have little plastic collar tabs in it? or not??

10. Linn

Hopefully garmentexchange will come back and show us the seams, etc. The label looks like a 1950's label. There are definitely some modern shirts that are in old-timey prints and without examining the construction, etc. it's hard to tell if they are reissues of older prints. I just looked it up and the Aloha Tower Marketplace opened in 1994.

11. The Vintage Merchant

wow...even 1994 would make it only 2 years shy of vintage...lol...

yes, those seams might be the key, and if they have collar tabs or not...it could totally be 50s from what i see so far...but some of those new oldies were absolute dead ringers for the real deal.

12. The Vintage Merchant

oh, and i remember Mrs. Chung saying that if/when (some) manufacturers would happen to run across a box or case of old labels, they'd pop them in a line of whatever was being sewn, too, esp if the print was more old style.

13. garmentexchange

here are some photos of the seams. there are not any collar tabs. thank you so very much for your info.

14. The Vintage Merchant

15. The Vintage Merchant

16. The Vintage Merchant

good seam finishes ~ thank you. i would date this anywhere from the 1950s thru the 60s, then.

17. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Alumni

While the Aloha Tower Marketplace was developed in the 1990s, the actual Aloha Tower was built in 1926.

18. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

That's crepe, right? Also, the pocket looks perfectly matched.
    Definitely vintage, I would say 50s.

19. The Vintage Merchant

yes. i was just wondering @ the time frame of the reno, as vintage landmark "building" prints were really really popular in the 80s, as well, but since the seams aren't serged, it does look older rather than younger.

20. joules

joules VFG Member

Another vote for 50s to perhaps early 60s. Love the grey tones, and the manner in which the fluffy clouds are depicted. Nice one.