1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help Identifying Vintage Fendi Baguette Handbag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TazMo, May 25, 2024.

1. TazMo

TazMo Registered Guest

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a vintage Fendi Baguette handbag and could use some help from the experts here to gather more information about it.

Details I have:

• Brand: Fendi
    • Style: Baguette
    • Material: Suspected to be crocodile skin (not sure)
    • Color: Brown
    • Closure: Magnetic snap
    Questions:

1. Can anyone provide more details about this Fendi Baguette handbag and its design history?
    2. Based on the photos and description, can you confirm if the material is indeed crocodile skin?
    3. Are there any specific features or characteristics of this handbag that could help identify the decade it was produced?
    4. Does the magnetic snap closure offer any clues about its age or authenticity?
    5. What notable design elements should I highlight to accurately describe this handbag?
    Thank you in advance for your time and expertise!

Attached Files:

2. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Hi, although we don't authenticate on the VFG these are things I would look out for...

The 'made in China' looks out of place on an Italian designer bag, and for me that would be a red flag that would definitely need investigating further. I think some luxury brands may outsource to China, but to my knowledge Fendi isn't one of them.

I found this information which seems to confirm this...
    "Fendi is made in Italy. Fendi products that say “Made in China” are definitely not authentic. The renowned luxury brand has a distinctive relationship with old-world Italian craftsmanship, and Fendi is revered for this commitment to tradition."
    https://www.1stdibs.com/answers/whe...ade in Italy,for this commitment to tradition.

From my very general understanding, Fendi bags usually have a serial number - although vintage Fendi bags made before 1980 won't have one. From the photos, I can't see a serial number although it is often inside the inner pocket, so it might be worth taking a peek to see if there is one. If not, that would imply the bag is either not authentic or pre-dates 1980s (that would definitely set alarms bells ringing, as I am pretty confident Fendi wouldn't be making bags in China in the 1970s!).

On the Fendi bags that I've seen, the hardware was engraved with 'Fendi', and the 'made in Italy' was either on leather or engraved on metal, rather than fabric style tag on this bag. Also, the lining has the word 'Fendi' woven in occasionally.

I'm not an expert on bags, these are just initial observations. I notice you posted a few queries about bags, and think you may find 'the purse forum' website useful. It can also be an idea to research on YouTube, where you may be able to find experts/collectors who provide tips on things to look out for and it can be especially helpful when they compare fakes to originals with visual examples of the differences.

Here is a link for Fendi on the purse forum...
    https://forum.purseblog.com/forums/fendi.25/

denisebrain likes this.