1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help, in search of my mother's favorite blanket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Udrianopel, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Udrianopel

Udrianopel Registered Guest

This was my mom's favorite blanket. Recently our dog tore a large hole in it and my husband threw it away, not realizing how sentimental I was about it. My mom had probably purchased it in the 90s, but it had a very distinctive soft silkyness to it that no other blanket has and I'm desperately trying to find another. Please if anyone had this blanket and can tell me designer or where it was purchased, any additional information, it would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I can't stop thinking of your sweet photo and your plea. I'm afraid I don't know what this one is, and the print is not very searchable—muted plaid? I thought it might be 1980s. It looks like something a JC Penney would sell, but that's just a wild guess.

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Thought of a possibility that you may have already exhausted, but in case: There are Facebook groups dedicated to vintage bedding.

amandainvermont likes this.
  4. Udrianopel

Thank you so much for trying to help! I've been even more distressed since I just found out that it was gifted to my mom on her wedding day, which was in March of 1984. But no one seems to know who gave it to her or where it was purchased. Ugh. Makes me even more devastated and upset that it's gone and there isn't really anything I can do. Just a lot of memories attached to it and the feeling of the fabric alone used to bring me a lot of comfort. So sad. I've done a lot of searching too, through old Sears and JC Penney catalogs online, been all over Mercari, Poshmark, Ebay and Etsy. It's quite hopeless at this point. I will look into the Facebook Vintage Bedding Groups, it's tricky because it seems like not everyone allows "in search of" posts, usually it's just buy and sell. Thank you though, will give it a shot!

denisebrain likes this.
  5. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

Udrianopel,
    I collect a specific type of (unsigned) brooch that is very hard to find, so I've resorted to using the best search words I can, and then I set up the search on eBay. They email me the items that match those search terms. In approximately 10 years, I've found two of the pins, and, of course i have gone through lots of pins to look at to see if they are THE ones. But it only takes a minute each day to review the "possibles".

You might try that. And try two or three searches with search terms you think best describe the blanket (without adding so many terms that too many get excluded).

Good luck to you. I never give up hope!

6. Udrianopel

Thank you very much, Janine! That does give me hope and I will definitely do just that!

Distantdetails likes this.