1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please, help me to identify the dress with logo Rütta (circa 1975).

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Yunona, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Yunona

Yunona Registered Guest

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Can you please post photos of the dress as well.

3. Yunona

Yunona Registered Guest

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a sweet print. I am seeing late 60s or early 70s. Let's see what others here think.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I think the name is Riitta - that is a Finnish women's name and makes more sense in this context. I think it's 70s. Finland used to have a large textile industry and there are lots of unknown labels out there that produced great dresses.

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thanks to Karin's note that the name on your label is not Rutta with an umlaut, I found a 2008 obit for Riitta:

"Riitta Immonen, a founder of the Finnish textile and clothing company Marimekko, and a designer of uniforms and ready to wear with a couture touch, died on Aug. 24 in Helsinki, Finland. She was 90...Riitta Narhi was born in... a small town in eastern Finland. With her heart set on becoming a fashion designer...in 1937 (she) headed for Helsinki, where she studied dressmaking and pattern drawing at a trade school. Working out of her apartment, she produced clothes that, because of wartime shortages, often depended on native hand-woven fabrics, to which she gave an elegant turn.
    After her brief stint with Marimekko, Ms. Immonen continued to produce couture dresses from her salon, but in 1955 she formed a partnership to create Cinderella, a clothing company that specialized in stylish, limited-production uniforms for waiters, waitresses, dentists and hairdressers...
    In the late 1960s Ms. Immonen started a ready-to-wear line, Riitta Immonen Sport, and in 1975, beset by high labor costs, she closed her couture business. Her ready-to-wear boutique closed in 1985, two years after the Finnish government granted her an artist's pension in recognition of her career. From 1953 to 1964 her fashion advice column in the women's magazine Eeva made her a household name in Finland.
    "

Please DO NOT reproduce this copyrighted text anywhere else. It is posted here for educational purposes only.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  7. Yunona

Yunona Registered Guest

Thank you mach, I so appreciate your help! It is the most full description of the brand! I'm cataloging the private European collection of the Alexander Vassiliev Foundation now, there are a lot of unidentified things there.

8. Yunona

Yunona Registered Guest

Thank you mach! Yes, it looks like it, you are right.

9. Yunona

Yunona Registered Guest

Thank you, Mary Jane! It's not mine – I am an assistant in cataloging a very large European costume collection of the Alexander Vassiliev Foundation. He doesn't sell vintage, he buys it, so I'm not breaking forum rules here. Alexander Vassiliev is a fashion historian, his Foundation is located in Paris, and he does fashion exhibitions all over the world. There are many unidentified items in the collection, so I would be very grateful to all forum participants if I could ask for help from you from time to time.

10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

11. Yunona

Yunona Registered Guest

Thank you, Karin!
    I will forward your opinion to Alexander, he will be very pleased!

Midge and The Vintage Merchant like this.
  12. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

That’s very neat. I follow the Foundation page and love the collections though I wish I could see them in person

Yunona likes this.
  13. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Yunona,

If you would like more people to see your label inquiries, I suggest you start a new thread, with a separate post about each unique label. As you now have three labels about which you are asking in your original Rutta post, readers may not see your later questions about the other labels. I will ask VFG administrators to separate your label inquiries in this thread.

14. Yunona

Yunona Registered Guest

Thank you, Lynne!