1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pls help me research an usual 50's? 60's? Shaheen dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by RETROGLAMOUR, Jun 27, 2008.

1. RETROGLAMOUR

RETROGLAMOUR Guest

Pls help me research an usual 50\'s? 60\'s? Shaheen dress

Ugh I keep trying to post this and it keeps not going thru! I hope I am not posting multiple times.

Anyway I am trying to learn as much as I can about this lovely Shaheen dress. It seems pretty special.

I have posted about it already on the VCA board on eBay and sent an email to Camille Shaheen (haven't heard back yet.)

Any info would be very appreciated! Thanks everyone.

P.S. this is the first time I have posted here so I am sorry if my pics or huge or anything

<center>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

</center>
    <center>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

</center>

2. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

This has got to be one of the cutest dresses I have ever seen. I can't believe it's a Shaheen though-not a typical pattern. Please let me know when you list it.

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

that is adorable. early 60's i'd say. great print, great style!

the cummerbund front has an obi influenced back belt, VERY cute, indeed!!

wide set neckline, just scrumptious all around!!

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Hi and welcome! I was just buzzing around the Shaheen website and came across this line drawing that looks very similar to your gorgeous dress - I think I see the back sash detail on the print version. No date mentioned though.

http://www.alfredshaheen.com/trading.htm

5. Laura

Laura Alumni

I'm pretty sure I've seen that print before (from another seller here), but I can't remember anything about it. It's a fabulous dress!

Laura

6. RETROGLAMOUR

RETROGLAMOUR Guest

Hi everyone! I was exploring the alfred shaheen website yesterday and there's actually an entire page devoted to the Kokeshi motif. However, there are no pictures of any dresses, just T-shirts that you can buy with a little Kokeshi doll on them. The print is apparently dated 1956, but it just seemed a little too early for the style of this dress. It was hard to understand exactly what was dated 1956 anyway.

I have sold this particular cut Shaheen before - but only in solid colors - one in black and one in nude.

7. :wow22:

Love the print and the style! Lucky you!

I think it was Linda that had similar a similar print.

8. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

It was me! and mine sold for about $500.

I dated mine to the 50s and featured it.

Be sure to put Kokeshi doll in the title. Just a sec and I will try to find you mine.

I love your dress!

9. vintageclothesline

Here's mine. I had better pictures but cannot find them quickly.

It had a jacket, too...

<center>[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

</center>

10. RETROGLAMOUR

RETROGLAMOUR Guest

WOW!!! That is stunning! Yours looks like cotton, no? Mine is silk.

Those colors are incredible!

11. vintageclothesline

Yes, it was cotton.

Wow, yours is silk! cha-ching...

12. RETROGLAMOUR

RETROGLAMOUR Guest

Well personally... I like yours better!! It's more my style if you know what I mean. But I'm gettin' more and more excited about mine, the more I talk about it!!

13. joules

joules VFG Member

Oh, I have died and gone to heaven. I've not seen that version of the Bullock's Pasadena label before.
    This dress of yours is a ring-a-ding-ding winner!

14. RETROGLAMOUR

RETROGLAMOUR Guest

Thanks for the support everyone! :D

What do you think - late 50's vs. early 60's?

Another thing - it has two teeny tiny little brown spots on it. I don't really want to mess with it myself, am thinking of getting it cleaned professionally. I just haven't had the best of luck with that locally. Do you think it pays to have it done, or does it not matter so much?

Hmm, what else... I had so many questions and now I can't remember them all!

15. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

16. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

That's one helluva hot dress--love it! I think I'd go with very late 50s on this, because of that sash. I have a mid-50s Shaheen in a solid color with the wide back-buckle sash, and I don't think I've seen any from the 60s with it. But I'm by no means an expert on Shaheen, so don't take my word for it!

If you don't trust your local cleaner, I would not have it cleaned. Just disclose and explain you didn't want your cleaner to ruin it! I see big $$$$ for you in this!

17. Just wondering if the belt buckle would go in the front?

18. RETROGLAMOUR

RETROGLAMOUR Guest

When I first got the dress, I thought for sure the belt went in front, but it really doesn't look right that way. It covers up the prettiness of the cummerbund waist. But, I am going to re-shoot this dress anyway, so maybe I'll try it both ways and see what everyone thinks, because that was my first reaction as well.

19. RETROGLAMOUR

RETROGLAMOUR Guest

I just realized that I titled this thread 'usual Shaheen' instead of 'unusual Shaheen'... geeeeez

20. That's a great idea - and check your u2u top right hand corner!