Problems with Moth Damage?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by NikkiB, Aug 7, 2012.

1. NikkiB

NikkiB Registered Guest

Incidents of moth infestations have been making a steady and noticeable increase in recent times in the UK. A rise in climate temperature and a preference for natural fibres being worn are considered major factors. This is of significant interest and concern to the vintage clothing industry.
    Holes in your garments are a strong indication that clothing moths are present within your home. The moths themselves are rarely seen. The clothes moths larvae feed on keratin protein, which is found in natural fibres including silk, leather, wool and cashmere. Unfortunately, this usually results in your most expensive and precious items of clothing being ruined.
    Here are some tips to help you remove the source of the problem, and prevent further clothing damage:
    1)Empty your affected drawers and cupboards and thoroughly vacuum the entire area, making sure you get into all the nooks and crannies, and also vacuum the surrounding carpets and skirting boards in the room to ensure that all the larvae has been removed.
    2)Thoroughly clean all the clothing that has been in the affected area.
    3)Spray the cupboards, wardrobes and drawers to kill all the eggs and larvae that are present and causing the damage.
    4)Use moth repellents and deterrents that either chemically or naturally deter them, depending on your preference. Cedar wood is a popular choice, and a wide range of products such as moth balls are available. Additional storage such as protective bags for expensive garments may also be considered.
    5)Install moth traps in the affected areas to monitor the presence of adult moths and to break the breeding cycle. Remember to replace your deterrents on a regular basis, two to four times per year, and this should result in a moth-free environment.

Link removed by admin. Please read posting rules. Thank you.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Thank-you for this reminder. If I may add, if you are looking for a very effective environmentally friendly method of killing moth larvae, then use the freezer method. Wrap clothes in plastic and put them in your freezer for 24 hours, remove and bring to room temperate and repeat. The sudden change in temperature doesn't allow for enough time for the moths to prepare and kills them. Plus it only costs the price of the electricity to run your freezer and doesn't use any harmful chemicals. Its the preferred method of museums.

3. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Thank you both for the information.
    I have a closet I hang my items with a mothball cake that is unopened. So not overwhelming smell but hopefully make the critters go away. I think moth balls cannot be sold in some places like California.
    I had read once about the freezer and have done it but was not real sure it worked. So glad to see that museums use this so now this reliable way will certainly be done now. Thank you Jonathan.

4. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Thanks Jonathan. I place my items in the freezer also, but have simply left them in for a couple of days.... never thought of the in "24hr in, back to room temp, then back to freezer" sequence.

5. The other (more expensive) way to be sure that your clothes are moth-free is to dry clean them. The process sucks all the moisture out of the textile, killing the eggs and larvae. I'm a fan of freezing but for items that need dry cleaning anyway, I always send them off quickly before adding them to my stock.

I don't recommend moth balls because the smell is so horrible and hard to get rid of. My general advice is to check your wardrobes every few months for infestations, and treat accordingly rather than use moth balls. I've used herbal repellents at times, they seem to do a good job as (touch wood) I'm yet to suffer an infestation despite the warm weather here in Australia.

6. foofoogal

I will not use the moth balls but I actually love the smell. (reminds me of grandmothers and old trunks) I know others do not like it though.

7. I actually love the smell. (reminds me of grandmothers and old trunks)

I sort of like the smell of skunk, but draw the line at mothballs, LOL. I try to avoid the problem by avoiding wool as much as possible. I put wool (and feather -- anything that came from an animal) hats in the freezer (thanks Jonathan for the freeze/thaw/freeze method) and dry-clean all wool garments, even if they are "already clean."

Here in Atlanta, the problem is dermestid (carpet) beetles. They are not particularly icky (the grownups look like tiny ladybugs, the clothes-destroying larvae look like teeny brown puffballs). Even kind of cute. BUT ... they eat wool AND silk AND cotton! Only synthetics are safe. It's horrible. I have the entire house treated twice a year, keep the shrubs and trees trimmed back from the house, and use odor-free toxic chemicals in my own closets (but not near my kids or their stuff) and in my stock room.

Never had this problem in NY (our walk-in cedar closet was sufficient to prevent moths, and there were no other pests). But here in Atlanta, it's a nightmare.

The four local/national exterminators I'd called in could not even identify the pests, despite their being ubiquitous (reminds me of dry-cleaners who can't tell faux from real fur). I finally caught a few bugs in a jar and the entomologist at the local science museum identified them. I then called the guys from that "Verminators" show to get recommendations on local exterminators and proper treatment. Turns out, despite my mostly "green" ways, the only solution was chemical. And so far, so good.

8. Liza, I'm glad to hear you mention carpet beetles: they don't get the attention (and blame) that moths and silverfish get for eating fabrics.

I've heard some horror stories and find them occasionally. Thankfully, like moths, they seem to take a bit of time to do their worst.

9. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

Carpet beetles are the worst - I had an infestation several years ago - they were inside a fur stole - between the interior of the fur and the lining which I didn't know. They got inside a box of cashmere sweaters and ate a vertical line right through several stacked and folded sweaters. They will also live underneath carpets. Horrible! I had to have my home exterminated to get rid of them. I still shudder to think of it.

10. OMG Catseye, that is a nightmare!

I bought myself a fur stole at a recent sale. Not to sell, just for me. It's shiny, supple, and smells good, but I'm going to have it professionally cleaned anyway. You just never know and it is not worth the risk to my entire stock (not to mention my regular clothes) from one stupid stole, y'know? I need to have my raccoon jacket repaired, anyway, so might as well do both.

11. I live in fear of pests getting into my shop: I once bought a nice mens suit from a fellow vintage shop and the seller assured me it had been dry cleaned recently so I put it into my shop - low and behold it had moths! Luckily we found it quickly and got rid of it.

Once a lady brought a big pile of stock for me to look at: she plopped it all down on the floor, in the middle of my shop and silverfish ran out of it, in all directions into my shop. I fumigated that night.

Fur seems really prone to pests so Liza, I agree it's a good idea to clean asap - or freeze. The critters must be controlled!

12. catseyevintage

I think the carpet beetles were the worst problem I've ever had - I had no idea they could live inside a fur stole. Nasty little things....

Nicole - I can't believe anyone would bring silverfish into your shop! Awful!

13. I was pretty horrified - since then, if I'm in doubt about any of the stock I'm offered in the shop, I would take it out into the street and shake it before looking at it. Often the stock has been in storage for a long time and although the seller might think it's "clean", it can contain all kinds of surprises. I used to worry that the seller might think I'm awful to do that but I'd rather protect my shop and my stock.

14. catseyevintage

Nicole - you're so right - there is nothing worst than an infestation - especially if you don't know about it and they're eating your stock. It gives me the cold chills to think about it.

15. foofoogal

People used mothballs for eons. It is a recent thing that alternatives except cedar have been invented. I am thankful our past collectors used them or nothing may be left in those old trunks.
    I am also glad now we do not have to use them.
    It may be a locality issue but I am not offended if I purchase an item that may smell faintly of something meant to protect a vintage textile. I do understand or feel from this thread others do not feel the same.
    Mothballs are toxic and especially to babies and anything remotely smelling like this should be thoroughly cleaned. It is the reality.
    I store 99% of my vintage clothing in vintage suitcases wrapped seperately in acid free paper or cloth.

16. catseyevintage

I've been successful in removing mothball odor by soaking in a mixture of liquid Awesome and cold water. Usually takes at least two soaks.

EndlessAlley likes this.
  17. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Thanks Catseye for that tip. I have rejected purchasing items because of the strong mothball smell. Now maybe I can give them a chance!

18. foofoogal

Yes, thank you Catseye. I have never heard of Awesome so will have to look that up.

19. catseyevintage

You're welcome Alice and Foo! Awesome is a great all around stain/odor remover, including greasy stains or black marks on clothing.

20. Liquid Awesome. No way! The name alone makes me want to buy it (and drink it, LOL)...

Considering that my stock is in my home, it's doubly scary to think of infestation. I'm sticking Mr. Stole in the freezer NOW (I'll thaw out the hats -- it's a small freezer). Might not get to fur guy for a while yet, and yikes... your stories have given me the heebie jeebies!