1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Moth Damage?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by NikkiB, Aug 7, 2012.

1. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

2. Guess I'd better get over to Dollar Tree and fork over a dollar for some Awesomeness ; )!

3. RoxyL

RoxyL Registered Guest

Thanks so much for this thread--I just found some carpet beetles in some estate sale garments and need a knowledgeable solution for saving the garments. Are there any fabrics that should not be frozen? One got inside my vintage fur (this means war!), so I steamed it like crazy, but I was worried about putting the old leather underneath through the stress of freezing. I'd also like to put some vintage silk (with beetle foxing.. hopefully fixable) in the freezer, but was worried about doing that as well. As always, you guys are the best site for any issues with vintage!

4. Really, I don't think the freezer is likely to hurt much of anything. Even animals stay outside in the cold ; ). I'd ask Jonathan...

5. K2graphics

K2graphics Registered Guest

Jonathan -- I'd been so glad to read your past post (#29) on the heating method, as I don't have freezer space and I live in a warm climate with a very short winter. But are you now saying that the heat method is not as good as freezing?

6. I've been known to remove food from the freezer (small, with limited space) to fit in a hat or stole or sweater.

"Kids... like it or not we're having _____ for dinner because I need room for a hat."

Retro Ruth likes this.
  7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Same here Liza! Though without the kids.

I've frozen fur and silk with no problems.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The heating method was something that was told to me by a conservator friend years ago, but I never tried it so I can't attest to whether it works or not.