1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on terminology

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

What is this piece of fabric on the inside of the shoulder/ sleeve seam called and what is the name of the type of shoulder shape it creates? When were these popular?

Thank you
    Victoria
    2552CFEA-E42E-42BD-92AA-348320DFA9ED.jpeg A90AF169-40A2-4D5C-9329-78D387090D7C.jpeg

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

It's a shoulder 'puff' to create a nicer shaped puff sleeve head, they are found in 1930s and early 1940s garments when puff headed sleeves were in fashion.

3. Vintagiality

Thank you, Melanie!

4. I have also seen this treatment in the 70s.

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

This sleeve was very popular in the 1980's. Think Princess Diana!

6. Vintagiality

Thank you all. I think mine is probably from the 80s based on the styling of the dress but I guess I hadn’t seen it before as most of my 80s dresses have shoulder pads.

7. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Dresses can have shoulder pads and boosters.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  8. Sweetmore

Sweetmore Registered Guest

I am always amazed at how fashion will repeat as designers will pull from their archives older designs and concepts for inspiration and many times those older designs will come out, and each era does a retro revival. Even today you can find modern clothing designs using older looks like the puff or gathered shoulder, peter pan collars, empire waist lines, wiggle and flare skirts, etc. It can make it very tough sometimes but fun doing the detective work of who made it and when.