Question on terminology

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion Q & A' started by Victoria, Jul 8, 2018.

  1. Victoria

    Victoria Registered Guest

    Hi all,

    What is this piece of fabric on the inside of the shoulder/ sleeve seam called and what is the name of the type of shoulder shape it creates? When were these popular?

    Thank you
    2552CFEA-E42E-42BD-92AA-348320DFA9ED.jpeg A90AF169-40A2-4D5C-9329-78D387090D7C.jpeg
  2. Pinkcoke

    Pinkcoke Trade Member

    It's a shoulder 'puff' to create a nicer shaped puff sleeve head, they are found in 1930s and early 1940s garments when puff headed sleeves were in fashion.
  3. Victoria

    Victoria Registered Guest

    Thank you, Melanie!
  4. themerchantsofvintage

    themerchantsofvintage Administrator Staff Member

  5. Linn

    Linn Trade Member

    This sleeve was very popular in the 1980's. Think Princess Diana!
  6. Victoria

    Victoria Registered Guest

    Thank you all. I think mine is probably from the 80s based on the styling of the dress but I guess I hadn’t seen it before as most of my 80s dresses have shoulder pads.
  7. claireshaeffer

    claireshaeffer Trade Member

    Dresses can have shoulder pads and boosters.
    The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  8. Sweetmore

    Sweetmore Registered Guest

    I am always amazed at how fashion will repeat as designers will pull from their archives older designs and concepts for inspiration and many times those older designs will come out, and each era does a retro revival. Even today you can find modern clothing designs using older looks like the puff or gathered shoulder, peter pan collars, empire waist lines, wiggle and flare skirts, etc. It can make it very tough sometimes but fun doing the detective work of who made it and when.

Share This Page