1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question re: rayon crepe fabric

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by KM75007, Sep 12, 2012.

1. KM75007

KM75007 Registered Guest

Hello! I was just wondering when rayon crepe -- the heartier sort that looks puckered under close inspection -- first appeared in clothing. I have noticed it most commonly in 1930s-1940s dresses, if I am not mistaken, but was it used earlier?

I ask because I recently found a dress that seems 1920s in every way (drop waist, tunic style, beaded panels) except that it is made out of this material -- and I have never seen it in that old of a garment (but I'm not an expert!).

I did check the fabric resource guide, but I couldn't find an answer re: this particular type of crepe.

Thank you!

2. Are you sure it's not a silk crepe? I find that the '20s crepe dresses are usually silk. The earliest rayon crepe dress I've found was from about '29-31.

3. KM75007

KM75007 Registered Guest

No, I'm not sure at all, actually! I just assumed it was rayon crepe because it looks and feels like that heavier-weight crepe that I have noticed in later dresses. I can upload a picture when I am able to, if that would help...unless the fabric looks similar and would need a burn test of some sort...?

Thanks for your insight!

4. I judge silk crepe by feel and also by what happens when you wash it (but please don't try this unless you're sure it's not rayon!). Burn tests are good.

5. cloudsofviolet

cloudsofviolet Registered Guest

Just found your post. And im looking for advice on cleaning silk crepe. The crinkled kind that has ridges. Is it generally okay to hand wash 20s /30s silk crepe? It has alot of general soiling and some marks as well. I can live with the marks but the soiling ...

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Do you have a photo of this item and a close up of the fabric? That might help us in advising about its washability.

7. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Maggie,
    This is the Burn Chart from Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide. Do you want to add it to the Fabric Resource? The copyright is in my name. I scanned this from the book. I'll look to see if I have a better copy.

Attached Files:

8. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

This is great Claire! What do you think of the one I have in the Fabric Resource? Missing things? _big_vintagefashion-new_22410.gif

9. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Maggie
    I have a copy of that chart and it's very good. I didn't notice it when I checked earlier.
    This chart begins with what you see so you really don't have to think about what it might be.
    The one omission is that when burned linen leaves a skeleton which makes it easy to identify when compared to cotton.
    No chart is perfect and all have limitations when burning blends.

denisebrain likes this.